Anyone's CFI putting an iPad on the yoke?

flhrci

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
David
I am just curious if anyone's CFI is doing this. I am thinking the full-size iPad for be too heavy especially for a Primary student, the mini might be to. It would give the student a fall sense of control forces I think. Now an instrument student it is probably more ok because of approach charts and such.

So, I think it is not a good idea. What about you all? The gates are open for opinions! lol

David

As an instructor, I don't mount anything anywhere. I carry my full-size iPad1 and use it as needed, stowing it when not in active use. Having flown with some folks with iPad Minis this year, I'm sold on that being the right size for light plane cockpit use, and when my iPad1 fully obsolesces, I'll get a Mini to replace it, but the difference isn't enough to switch until the limitations of iOS5 become unacceptable.

As for mounting an iPad on the yoke for your own use, I've had some trainees try that, but they all end up keeping it loose, laying it on their kneeboard or thigh when in use, and stowing it otherwise. It gets a bit harder to use there, and it can get a bit in the way, especially with the full-size iPads. That's still a personal decision, but try it with a few other people's different mounts before you spend the money on one of your own.

It makes it very difficult to read anything attached to the yoke that is constantly in motion, much less try and touch anything precisely on the screen while you're trying to "steer".

I never understood the yoke mount.

I yoke mount my mini and it works very well. No noticeable difference in control forces at all.

I have a yoke mounted iFly and is is no problem at all. Of the yoke is moving that much yo are manuvering and need not be reading the gps

I agree not to look at the iPad while maneuvering. I was more focusing on if it would mess up people learning to fly with the extra weight on there.

David

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

No, never, it's the student's plane. Don't mess with things by putting anything on the yoke.

Having flown with some folks with iPad Minis this year, I'm sold on that being the right size for light plane cockpit use

I had to decide between the Mini and the full-size one about a month ago. I went with the Mini as the size difference isn't that great and the difference between the "standard" and the retina display was negligible to my eyes. I'm glad I got the smaller one. Things are still easy to see but it's not bulky like the ipad(I used to have an ipad 2 but sold it a year ago).

I myself wouldn't mount it on the yoke but that's me. I however would like to hear anyone's input on alternatives to that, such as a suction cup type mount to the side window or possibly even the panel somewhere.

Had an instructor during part of my training ppl in a 172q. He had to have his I
Pad mounted.
I kept messing with him, twisting the yoke etc. lol
He was am horrible instructor.

Lol

Had an instructor during part of my training ppl in a 172q. He had to have his I
Pad mounted.
I kept messing with him, twisting the yoke etc. lol
He was am horrible instructor.

Lol

I don't put anything on the yoke when flying with my student. Why would a CFI need to do that anyway? Keep it in your lap or get a windshield/glareshield mount for it.

I don't put anything on the yoke when flying with my student. Why would a CFI need to do that anyway? Keep it in your lap or get a windshield/glareshield mount for it.

I agree.. if you are not flying, your hands are free anyway. Well right up until your student bounces one. But who needs an ipad in the pattern?

When I was in IR training, I got a yoke mount and tried putting it on my yoke. But, it blocked the view of everything important. So, I moved it over to the other yoke (instructor side). Now, I could see everything. But, I still did not like how it moved with the yoke. And, of course, and as expected, the instructor did not like it there either. So, I trained with it loose. During training, I effectively rarely used it that way. The paper was easier right there in front of me. I screwed up more when using the i-pad loose.

So, recently, I modified the mount so it will fit on the left glare-shield. Much better but does block viewing traffic on the front lower left when in VMC. So, one has to be more careful to view that area.

Not answering the question since I'm not a CFI , but while I was training I would mount my mini on the yoke of the 172 I trained in and would hand my IPad 2 to my instructor. I would have foreflight up and running for both and have them both setup for the days mission with routing and such. My instructor was sold on it after a lesson or two. I noticed it there on the yoke but it doesn't bother me at all. In the 182R, I mount my IPad 2, it fits that plane well and I like having the bigger screen.

Why did a instructor need a iPad? Poor situational awareness or just the "it's new tech" thing?

My instructor would review my electronic flight planning and compare it to my paper plans. He hadn't used Foreflight before so it more just a gee whiz thing. He especially loved the Geo referenced approach plates.

Why did a instructor need a iPad? Poor situational awareness or just the "it's new tech" thing?
Helps a lot when giving someone simulated vectors to final for a practice ILS when ATC is too busy, or getting distance from a VOR when deciding when to give them their holding clearance. Lots more things than that, too. Or maybe it's just the only chart they carry.

Oh please tell us why an iPad shouldn't be on the yoke?

Because it's a dumb idea, because having a big square of consumer grade electronics bolted on your primary flight controls doesnt seems like a smart move IM (no so) HO

Check this great invention out

RAM-ipad-yoke1.jpg

First off, it looks like you can barely get your hands around that yoke.

Second, where did half his panel go, OH YEA, behind is iToy

Third if you have traffic, w/s, bird, whatever and have to fully articulate your controls those corners might be a little bit of a issue if you are like most of us and have legs!

Forth, I bet most of the demographic also have a HUGE knee board strapped to a leg, now you got crap strapped to your leg sticking up, a large square of crap attached to your primary flight controls, now when you have to move that yoke.....

Just seems like a bad idea, but hey, your mileage may vary

Last edited:
The only two times I used the yoke mount was
a) 796 while I still owned one in an Arrow on a xc flight
b) iPad mini on the CP checkride, showing the whereabouts and the weather (it was pouring all over). DPE's a former airline guy, enjoys seeing new toys. Discussed ADS-B weather I've been using last 8-9 months or so while doing my pylon-8s
Not a CFI though. CFIIs that I flew with never mounted theirs. Stuck them by the sidewall or whatever... just don't put it up on the glareshield. If you do, check out that compass ;)

Because it's a dumb idea, because having a big square of consumer grade electronics bolted on your primary flight controls doesnt seems like a smart move IM (no so) HO

Check this great invention out

RAM-ipad-yoke1.jpg

First off, it looks like you can barely get your hands around that yoke.

Second, where did half his panel go, OH YEA, behind is iToy

Third if you have traffic, w/s, bird, whatever and have to fully articulate your controls those corners might be a little bit of a issue if you are like most of us and have legs!

Forth, I bet most of the demographic also have a HUGE knee board strapped to a leg, now you got crap strapped to your leg sticking up, a large square of crap attached to your primary flight controls, now when you have to move that yoke.....

Just seems like a bad idea, but hey, your mileage may vary
Before you make blanket assumptions you might want to actually try it and see for yourself.

I put a iPad yoke mount on the 170. I had my doubts, but figured I'd at least try it out to see how bad it was. Once I had the angle adjusted, I found that I did not even notice it on the yoke as far as feel, weight and interference. Doesn't block anything in my field of vision when I am actually sitting in the seat.

As for your fourth assumption....why in the hell would folk have an iPad mounted on the yoke AND have a big kneeboard? I sure don't.

iPad works fine on my yoke. Works fine in my lap too. I like it screwed down in turbulence.

Not a CFI, but I found a great solution: mount an iPad mini on the Passenger yoke and angle it. That way it doesn't interfere with your controls or block your view. And I find passengers like following along on the map.

I am just curious if anyone's CFI is doing this. I am thinking the full-size iPad for be too heavy especially for a Primary student, the mini might be to. It would give the student a fall sense of control forces I think. Now an instrument student it is probably more ok because of approach charts and such.

So, I think it is not a good idea. What about you all? The gates are open for opinions! lol

David

Why would you want or need an IPAD mounted on the yoke for primary training?

Back