Anyone with a recent SI?

V

Vtailguy

I'm 35, currently on Basicmed and want to apply for a Class I medical. Have an expired Class 3. I take Humira for Psoriasis and Psoriatic arthritis with no side effects, and it's been working great for years. I see Humira is on the FAA approved list but I believe I may need a special issuance? I'm guessing it's a relatively easy approval but bureaucracy obviously will get in the way.

I'm curious if anyone has received a special issuance recently and if so, how long it's taken. Couldn't find any recent threads on this.

Thanks!

Hello @Vtailguy,

i am in the same boat as you are. i use cosentyx for my Psoriasis and my medical was deferred to AMCD.
can you please help explain the process you went through and how long it took for you to receive the approvals.

Thanks so much. Rambau

What's aggravating is that if you are being treated for Psoriatic Arthritis, that is a CACI condition. And I do believe that Humira is one of the approved drugs for that.

• Only ONE of the following - with required no-fly time after each use:
o adalimumab (Humira): 24-hour no-fly
o apremilast (Otezla): n/a
o etanercept (Enbrel): 4-hour no-fly
o infliximab (Remicade): 24-hour no-fly
o rituximab (Rituxan): 72-hour no-fly
o secukinumab (Cosentyx): 4-hour no-fly

I was on Otezla for about half a year. It worked very well, but was horrifically expensive once the copay assistance was depleted.

I am being treated for Psoriatic Arthritis and i am currently using Cosentyx for the treatment. my AME has defered my application to Oklahoma and i am worried that either the process will be delayed and/or i might be denied.
when you are using Otezla, do you have to get special permission from AMCD or have you received your medical certificate from AME ?

I am being treated for Psoriatic Arthritis and i am currently using Cosentyx for the treatment. my AME has defered my application to Oklahoma and i am worried that either the process will be delayed and/or i might be denied.
when you are using Otezla, do you have to get special permission from AMCD or have you received your medical certificate from AME ?
I had been off of Otezla for almost a year by the time I went in for my Third-Class medical. It was prohibitively expensive. The Methotrexate works almost as well. Almost...
The strange loophole seems to be that if you have been diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis, but have no current diagnosis of Psoriasis, then the AME can issue through the CACI guidelines. I don't understand it, but I wasn't about to inquire either. Basic Med is my next stop. I wonder why your AME did not go the CACI route? Fortunately, I found a good senior AME (former AF Flight Surgeon) who was able to get everything done in one visit - but with a lot of preplanning and communication beforehand. You might want to ask your AME why he didn't use the CACI guidance provided in the AME Guide.

Thank you. I will talk to AME next week to see if he can consider the CACI route. appreciate your inputs.
but, if in case he cannot, do you know how long this whole process typically takes and what should i be prepared in advance ( for example, any medical reports etc )
and if i should hire any expert to help me with this situation.

Thank you. I will talk to AME next week to see if he can consider the CACI route. appreciate your inputs.
but, if in case he cannot, do you know how long this whole process typically takes and what should i be prepared in advance ( for example, any medical reports etc )
and if i should hire any expert to help me with this situation.
I really can't say how long it will take. Right now, it seems the OKC guys are months behind. Plus, I'm not sure if he can "pull back" any deferral and issue through CACI once it's been submitted.
Best of luck to you.

The CACI is pretty easy. Your Rheumatologist just needs to supply a statement similar to:
"Treating physician finds the condition stable on current regimen and no changes recommended".

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back