Anyone with 1500TT and 75 hours instrument logged want a cool job?

alaskaflyer

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Alaskaflyer
http://jobsearch.usajobs.gov/getjob.asp?JobID=71815721

The NPS is hiring a pilot position for what I believe is its Cessna 206 program, duty stationed at South Rim village at the Grand Canyon. You can go to the "qualifications and evaluation" tab at the above page to get the skinny on the required hours and ratings and also a little about what you actually would be doing. It is a GS-12 position, which there starts at $65K a year but quickly climbs above $70K after a couple of years, plus there is OT.

Last edited:
Wow, that's good pay for a flying job... must be a ton of desk-flying that goes with it, though.

Yeah, and here's another "perk" for some folks... not COMMON to find this for a commercial pilot requirement:

"College education is not a qualifying factor for this position."

I wish I had 1500 instead of 1200 hours. I also wish I knew why 1500 hours is so important, given the low PIC and instrument time requirement.

I wish I had 1500 instead of 1200 hours. I also wish I knew why 1500 hours is so important, given the low PIC and instrument time requirement.

Can you imagine how many applications they'd get if the requirement were lower? I bet it's a "make the pile of apps I have to wade through smaller" decision...

It is a Office of Personnel Management requirement, the NPS is stuck with it if they want to hire a full-performance pilot. Same with some of the other requirements that might not make sense such as the instrument and night experience, you can't fly a single engine plane for the DOI in either environment except in extreme emergency. But other government departments fly both IMC and at night, so the requirement is across-the-board.

I think I know the job I'll aim for in retirement from my REAL job... by then I'll qualify!

Oh wait a minute, they want 1500 LOGGED hours.... not FLOWN hours. I can fix that overnight! Hell I've got over 2000 on VATSIM alone!

MINIMUM FLIGHT HOUR REQUIREMENTS
The following flight hour requirements apply to all applicants:

1. Total Flight Time - Flight time as pilot-in-command or copilot in aircraft of any weight or category is creditable for this requirement. Total flight time required is 1500 hours.
  2. Pilot-In-Command - Only flight hours acquired as pilot-in-command are creditable. Total Pilot-In-Command required flight hours are 250.
  3. Night Flying - Total required hours is 75.
  4. Flying Time - 100 flight hours must have been met within the Last 12 Months. The flight hours specified apply to competitive appointments.
  5. Instrument - At the GS-11 level and above 75 hours are required, at least 10 of the required hours must have been logged in actual instrument weather. The balance may have been acquired in a flight simulator or as other types of instrument flight time, e.g., hood instrument.

Last edited:
I've got a pen and log book. Give me a couple days.

Back