Anyone willing to help.

Hughes Sky

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Stoic
Dear Fellow Aviators,
My name is David Hughes and I am writing to ask for your help. Ever since I could remember, I have always wanted to learn how to fly. I finally saved up enough money and began training when I was 19. While I will always remember my training as one of the most exciting times of my life, I will also remember it as a very trying time.

Unfortunately, at least in my town, Fixed Based Operators see flight training as a loss-leader and treat it as such. The very few aircrafts that are available are barely flight worthy and always in a general state of disrepair. Flight instructors come and go making continuity impossible. Students are constantly forced to reschedule due to one issue or another usually with little to no warning. They are the only game in town and they know it.

Just about everyone that I have spoken with has told me that the best way to make a small fortune in flight instruction is to start with a large one. After months of research and preparation I have found that this may be an understatement. But I still believe that there is a better way for individuals who want to learn to fly for pleasure.

In order to supplement the cost of start-up, I have worked to develop an FAA Knowledge Test Preparation application for smartphones and tablets. And I need your feedback.

The focus of this application is to provide students with a low cost study aid that they can take with them wherever they go.

Here is why you should help:
• Let your voice be heard-
o Have you ever gone through flight preparation books or software before and thought that there was a better way to present this material? Your input will directly affect future updates. What should be added? What should be deleted? What changes would you personally make?
• Support the industry you love-
o I know how important it is to support the community in which you do business. That’s why 10% off all the proceeds generated from this application go to aviation related charities. Right now the charity we are supporting is Angel Flight which is a 501(c) (3) nonprofit organization.
• Turn the trend around-
o General aviation trends are on the decline. Calendar year 2010 saw a 25% decrease in Private Pilot Certifications issued, a 29% decrease in Commercial Pilot Certifications issued, and a 31% decrease in Instrument Ratings issued compared to 2009. We all know that interest in learning to fly hasn’t diminished. But in a difficult economy, flight training takes a back seat. I believe this can be turned around with student focused training at an affordable price.
• Help me help you-
o This application will hopefully become the first of many. If there is significant interest, I plan on releasing several free, ad based applications in the second quarter of next year.

If you are still reading this I cannot thank you enough. So here is how you can help:
1. Visit either the App Store (iPhone/iPad) or Market (Android based smartphone/tablet)
2. Type Hughes Sky in the Search Box.
3. Download the application Private Pilot Test Prep by Hughes Sky.
4. Let me know what you think.

Now the application is $2.99. For Android users, you can go back to the Market and click the Refund button within 15 minutes of download to receive your money back. Unfortunately, Apple does not have such generous policies regarding purchases in its App Store. I do hope anyone who does download the application sees it as a bargain and a beneficial program that they can use to always stay current and fresh.

Also, people naturally purchase applications that others have reviewed positively. As such, if the app not only meets but exceeds your expectations, please feel free to rave about it in the Reviews section in the Market/App Store. However, if you feel compelled to point major and/or many flaws with the application, I humbly request that you shoot me your feedback first. Hopefully I can correct whatever issue you are experiencing. If not, by all means please let everyone what problems you have found.

Again, to anyone willing to assist me with your time and experience on this project, I sincerely cannot thank you enough. I can only reassure you that I am earnest when I say that there is a better way to provide flight training. A way that does not cost students hundreds of dollars in training materials. A way that makes the student’s development a priority.

For more information feel free to visit my website: www.HughesSky.com
If I can be of any assistance don’t hesitate to contact me.

Last edited:
I hate to rain on your parade but I spent a grand total of about $50 bucks on training materials for the PPL. I guess I think that's cheap- i'm used to paying $500-$800 per semester for college books.

No worries. If the material you picked up works for you then that's awesome. I am just trying to offer options for those that might learn better through more interactive training. And I think this can be done for a lot less than the the $10-$35 range I've seen.

Good luck with your training,
David

And I think I spent something like $300.00 for my PP materials, so if yours works, it will work out to be a real bargain. Best of luck in your new venture.

Back