Anyone want a float plane?

How much does it cost to convert from floats back to tailwheel?

Not that I could afford it just yet anyway...

This one may be interesting. Did Cessna ever deliver them from the factory on floats, or did they all leave on wheels? If it's an original fitting of gear there will be some extra time in getting a good alignment. I would expect all the holes to exist, so hopefully it would just be a matter of shimming to get a bit of toe out.

Gear not included anyway, so there's a few grand, and if brakes were never fitted, you have that expense as well. But WTF, me, I'd leave it on floats. Lot of time on it, and with the cost of doing the DAR import conformity inspection (or did NAFTA get rid of that?:dunno:) and the impending engine overhaul, one might still come out ok on it. The good thing is the conformity inspection can dovetail with getting it 135 approved, so it wouldn't really be a wasted expense to me, since the only reason I would get this is for 135 and I couldn't afford a 206.

Run out engine, run out prop, partial logs, corrosion, crap avionics? Sign me up!

How much does it cost to convert from floats back to tailwheel?

Not that I could afford it just yet anyway...

No time flat, hardly any money.

Just hook the rings up, lift the plane, unbolt the floats and rigging, mount up the wheels, folks of back and forth between straight floats and wheels every winter / summer

It should still have the brake fittings and everything, everything would be there for going back to wheels, I'd also wager he has some wheels somewhere if you ask, most float operators always have their wheels.

Otherwise you could get some used ones from someone's titanium gear upgrade or something.

Run out engine, run out prop, partial logs, corrosion, crap avionics? Sign me up!

This isn't exactly a cessna 152 dude.

Recent top overhaul, minor corrosion and logs since 85' plus it was commercially operated, as for the avionics not many bush planes blow money on whiz bang avionics.

My 185 amphib is full IFR with a full garmin stack, EHSI, auto pilot and GPSS, as far as 185s go it's a odd ball.

Also mine was WAAAAAAAAAAAY more than $75k.

I already have a 185, but this would be a great super low budget way into a high end platform which you could pretty up as time and money allows over the years.

Last edited:
Almost forgot to mention, for a plane to go through import into Canada, all the times, AD compliance, TSMO, etc are verified, so the logs prior are not really a factor, plus for commercial use everything needs to be on the super up and up.

When my plane was brought into Canada EVERYTHING was verified, the engine had a recent overhaul in the US, however TC wanted piles of paperwork to show it was a true overhaul and how many hours it had before oveahual, after, etc etc.

I trust a plane that went through the import process, even without logs prior to import, much more than a Pt 91 plane with full logs since new filled out by a handful of GA hangar APIAs and never audited by anyone.

No time flat, hardly any money.

Just hook the rings up, lift the plane, unbolt the floats and rigging, mount up the wheels, folks of back and forth between straight floats and wheels every winter / summer

It should still have the brake fittings and everything, everything would be there for going back to wheels, I'd also wager he has some wheels somewhere if you ask, most float operators always have their wheels.

Otherwise you could get some used ones from someone's titanium gear upgrade or something.

This isn't exactly a cessna 152 dude.

Recent top overhaul, minor corrosion and logs since 85' plus it was commercially operated, as for the avionics not many bush planes blow money on whiz bang avionics.

My 185 amphib is full IFR with a full garmin stack, EHSI, auto pilot and GPSS, as far as 185s go it's a odd ball.

Also mine was WAAAAAAAAAAAY more than $75k.

I already have a 185, but this would be a great super low budget way into a high end platform which you could pretty up as time and money allows over the years.

That always amazed me since it's exactly they that stand to benefit the most, especially SVT for the seaplane guys in SE AK.

Somewhat off-topic question.

For someone that will be in the market in 2 years for a 180/185, Is it better to get a low end version and build up as time/money allows? or is it better to spend the money upfront?

Assume I have no plans to re-sell this plane and Ill give it up when I die. (Or it gets badly broken)

Sounds liked a clapped out dog to me. Engine, prop, corrosion, NO GEAR? (where is that?) junk radios, bad paint, bad interior, and old 2960's (worth their price in aluminum.)

No thanks. BTDT

Somewhat off-topic question.

For someone that will be in the market in 2 years for a 180/185, Is it better to get a low end version and build up as time/money allows? or is it better to spend the money upfront?

Assume I have no plans to re-sell this plane and Ill give it up when I die. (Or it gets badly broken)

Depends on how long you want to hold onto it. Short term cash value your best deal will always be to buy the nicest plane possible in a distress deal situation. However long term aircraft value depends more on what you want the plane to be for you. The thing about starting with a clean, older project is that when you are done, you have exactly what you want to fly. With very limited exceptions, taking on a project plane is the worst deal economically, but you don't have to put up with any compromises you don't want to, i.e. You want a 750, but it already has a 430w, so you keep it even though it is the most evil hateful radio design to curse mankind.

Depends on how long you want to hold onto it. Short term cash value your best deal will always be to buy the nicest plane possible in a distress deal situation. However long term aircraft value depends more on what you want the plane to be for you. The thing about starting with a clean, older project is that when you are done, you have exactly what you want to fly. With very limited exceptions, taking on a project plane is the worst deal economically, but you don't have to put up with any compromises you don't want to, i.e. You want a 750, but it already has a 430w, so you keep it even though it is the most evil hateful radio design to curse mankind.

Is it worth getting a 180 and then upgrading the engine later on or just getting the 185 outright?

Obviously I'd be getting a worse-off 185 initially vs a bit higher-end 180.

Is it worth getting a 180 and then upgrading the engine later on or just getting the 185 outright?

Obviously I'd be getting a worse-off 185 initially vs a bit higher-end 180.

I would get the 185 outright if that is what I wanted to end up in. Every purchase carries with it a price, and upgrading airplanes after a couple of years can be pretty wasteful of resources in the long run, especially if you have unrecoverable durable repairs or upgrades done during your ownership cycle.

Man, it's a one or the other when it comes to the hot rodded 180s vs the 185s, no real good answer, just got to pick the best one for you, the 185 is a bit more expensive however.

As far as fixing one up, it's just picking the cheapest way to get a plane to meet your mission.

What do you want the plane for
Speedy XCs
IFR
Straight VFR
Backcountry landings
Floats / amphibs
Skis

All change what you're looking for, for example that 75k seaplane I posted the link to, if you're looking for a real IFR ship, no way would that be a good buy.

For me, I wanted a 185F periord, so that took care of that part, I also was looking for a amphib and wanted a real IFR ship, no more than 50% to TBO, this meant I needed a factory floatplane with at least 85% of the panel I wanted already installed since doing a major panel redo is quite expensive compared to buying a plane with the avionics already there, adding floats to a factory seaplane isn't the end of the world.

I ended up with a 92% there airplane, 185F on amphibs, low TT and TSMO, super low top, garmin audio panel, 530/430/330, EHSI, AP with GPSS and alt hold.

So for future planned $ I got a ES upgrade to do on the transponder before 2020, I'd like to change my panel from a cessna plastic floating one to a newer laser cut one with fiberlite instrument lights, add a 3.5mm audio input for music and that's about it.

If you're in the market joining the skywagon club is almost mandatory

http://skywagons.org/

Also get on backcountrypilot and supercub and talk to folks, lots of wagon guys over there.

Last edited:
NuLites worked fabulously, and were a ridiculously inconsequential part of the cost of my panel.

If you're in the market joining the skywagon club is almost mandatory

http://skywagons.org/

Also get on backcountrypilot and supercub and talk to folks, lots of wagon guys over there.

Im a very long time lurker on BCP and occasional poster.

Thanks for the link I just "applied" as an enthusiast.

Back