Anyone Using the Jeppesen Mobile VFR App?

kenjr

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
KenJr
I downloaded it tonight - I like it a lot. I won't give up my ForeFlight subscription (and we have a Stratus) but I like the way Jeppesen lays out the maps. The only thing I don't like at this point is the speed at which the map refreshes (and they make you d'load 1.2GB of data for the US so it's all on the device...).

I'm going to try it out when I fly next week to see how I like it in the air - but I think I like the color scheme's and the chart layout better.

For $49/year...what's to lose...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkV4HpiQmYs

Last edited:
I went to look at it at OSH but they were too busy with other stuff so I just went to customer service and complained that the new JSUM for the MAC doesn't support the trivially easy 480/20/200 cards.

I've been pretty underwhelmed by Jepps software in the past. Flightdesk is horrid and really so is their new version of the instrument chart viewer for the iPad (despite paying large $$$ for jepp charts, I'd use the NOS ones in FF first). No georegistration on approach plates, and the enroute presentation is missing information from the enroute charts to the point of making it useless.

The cartography on the short-lived jeep paper VFR charts was pretty nice. I'd have to revisit their online offerings if it was similar.

Hmm, can't find it in the Market, and their chart viewing app that is in the Market starts out with a note that it doesn't work on devices that are rooted.

Doesn't seem like they are terribly serious about this...

I've tried but ended up in an endless loop with their activation process. Contacted their tech support via the app but never got a response. Decided if their support was that pitiful I wasn't going to waste my time evaluating it for my students. It's not like there aren't great options already available with ForeFlight, Garmin Pilot, FlyQ and WingX.

Hmm, can't find it in the Market, and their chart viewing app that is in the Market starts out with a note that it doesn't work on devices that are rooted.

Doesn't seem like they are terribly serious about this...

:yeahthat: Definitely a "me too" effort by Jeppesen.

My company requires JeppFD which is the IFR app. It is a fantastic app for those that want to use Jepp plates. I played with the VFR app and I like it. The funny thing is, I really like gov sectionals as that is what I am used to, but I hate gov IFR charts and plates. The two things I want FF to implement are Jepp plates, and fltplan.com integration. I would pay a HUGE premium for that, or rather my company would lol.

My company requires JeppFD which is the IFR app. It is a fantastic app for those that want to use Jepp plates. I played with the VFR app and I like it. The funny thing is, I really like gov sectionals as that is what I am used to, but I hate gov IFR charts and plates. The two things I want FF to implement are Jepp plates, and fltplan.com integration. I would pay a HUGE premium for that, or rather my company would lol.

And a HUGE PREMIUM you would pay!! :lol:

It's a horrid app. It's a royal PITA to select the plates you want. While the taxi charts are georeferenced, the plates are not. The enroute facility is a piece of crap as well.

Give me Foreflight any day. Jepp needs to get some programmers/designers with a clue.

I've tried but ended up in an endless loop with their activation process. Contacted their tech support via the app but never got a response. Decided if their support was that pitiful I wasn't going to waste my time evaluating it for my students. It's not like there aren't great options already available with ForeFlight, Garmin Pilot, FlyQ and WingX.

That was my experience in the beginning. Then it suddenly started working.

Haven't used it in a while, and updated my ipad to iOS 7, and the Jepp application needed an update. Again, stuck. Cleared the data from the settings to deactivate it, re-installed, stuck on extracting. Finally did get it to work again this morning, after several tries. The customer support is decent, one of the guys even called me on my phone from Germany to help troubleshoot the issues I was having.

The app is promising for being a very basic VFR app.. being able to zoom in on airports to see the taxiways, frequencies are easy to read and right there, but I've just been using Foreflight instead.

Another minor annoyance to me is that the airspace boundary colors are completely different from those on a US sectional chart.

Back