Anyone using RunKeeper?

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
I have started using the smartphone app "RunKeeper" to track my daily walks so I can know distance, time, and more.

Are any other PoA folk using this? I'd like to add some buddies so we can motivate one another.

I used to use it, but I switched to Strava a few months ago, as it's more oriented for competitive bicycling and running, and it really does do a better job.

Get the fit bit.
That will give you some competition. Plus it has a Taunt button to encourage others

I just started using it on my runs. I just added you as a friend I believe..

Get the fit bit.
That will give you some competition. Plus it has a Taunt button to encourage others

Have one of the original FitBits (clip style)... need to find it, charge, it and use it. Be nice to have the step count.

Also using LoseIt to track eating. Recently discovered I can record my blood sugar tests too (under goals).

One thing to be aware of when using GPS based fitness tracking devices and apps, is that while total distance and speed is fairly accurate, cumulative elevation is very inaccurate and can be off by an order of magnitude. This in turn affects calorie burn estimates, which will be correspondingly overestimated.

In order to get around that, Strava will correct the elevation data by using the mapped terrain elevation with the GPS dataset for a more accurate cumulative elevation count. Runkeeper doesn't do that. I'm not sure about the other services like Map my Ride or Endomondo.

For me, Runkeeper tallied roughly twice the elevation and calorie burn than Strava did for the same data sets.

If you use an external device like a Garmin with an internal barometric altimeter, that problem will go away.

Sac; since you're a cyclist, answer this please...

I'm seeing an hour of walking covering about 3.5 miles doing me good things.

I am thinking of getting a bicycle. What distance or time would get me the equivalent results?

Sac; since you're a cyclist, answer this please...

I'm seeing an hour of walking covering about 3.5 miles doing me good things.

I am thinking of getting a bicycle. What distance or time would get me the equivalent results?

An hour of walking will burn on the order of 300 calories per hour. Cycling will burn somewhere around 400 to 900 calories per hour depending on pace and weight.

Here is a fairly complete list.

I used Strava - and then switched to Digifit/Training Peaks. Digifit has a lot of capacity/potential depending on what you want to do. Strava does the 'buddy" thing really well. -best of luck!

Back