Anyone usinf Windows Phone 7

cello.ch

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Cello
Hi
I am wondering if any one of you out there already adopted the new phones with the Windows Phone 7 operating system?

If so, what are the Apps you use for your aviation needs?
Since I did not find my most used App from my iPhone time (METAR and TAF) I sat down and programmed it myself: www.airportweather.ch

Do you have other Apps you would recommed for WP7 (Windows Phone 7). Or do you use WP7 and would like to have an application not found in this Marketplace yet. Tell me, sometimes I do have some spare time if the weather is to bad for flying VFR.

Regards from a Swiss private pilot,
Marcel

I may be out of touch, but how is the Win phone thing working out? I see so many iPhones and few Win phones.

Interesting presentation on your app.

Tell us about your flying in Switzerland.

I used a Windows 3.1 phone a while ago. After using an Android 2.1 based phone I was ready to go back to Windows. But I then get an Android 2.2 phone and many issues were solved for enterprise users that rebuilt my faith in Android. I also use an iPhone which I still like better than by Android phone. I have not had a chance to play with the new version of Windows for phones, but from what I have heard from those that have....Meh!

I am about to get new phones all 'round here at the office, would love to see what's good, but it appears that the iPhone is the one to beat.

I am about to get new phones all 'round here at the office, would love to see what's good, but it appears that the iPhone is the one to beat.
I am very happy with mine. But mine is being used as a personal phone. In an enterprise environment it could be different. For one thing my company does not allow iTunes on corporate computers. That is a real PITA if you had an iPhone. I like my iPhone because I can keep my music and videos on it. My work phone, an HTC Evo, has lots of enterprise software on it. That is great for accessing the things I need for work. I do use Google Calendar to keep my schedule synced, that helps me manage the two devices and two computers pretty easily.

I've been using WP7 for a couple of months (since sprint released the HTC arrive). The interface is clean and responsive and there is a decent number of apps available. Kindle and Netflix apps work well, and I really like Board Express Pro which lets me browse the POA forums. The browser is ok and gets the job done. I am looking foward to the Mango update this fall, but would guess that the carriers will take thier sweet time to deploy it. I like the Zune software, as well as the Zune pass. Unlimited music and 10 DRM free downloads per month for $14.99, although I signed up for the year subscription and saved a bit.

As for aviation apps, I havn't looked that closely. Before the first of the year I don't remember seeing any. By the time I got my phone there were a handful of E6B and Weather apps. I've only purchased an app called ATIS, which does metar and taf for .99 cents. I like the simple clean interface it has. After seeing the screen shot of the live tile that Airport Weather has, I wish ATIS would also make add a live tile for the home screen. I've also use NavMonster via the browser, and it works really well.

I treat my phone as a phone first, so I don't think I'd use it in the plane, just as I don't use my phone to track my workouts when I am out biking and running. For those activities I prefer a dedicated device, like my Garmin 310XT, something that is waterproof, dirtproof, works well in sunlight, and has 15+ hours of battery life.

So as far as other aviation apps I would like to see on WP7, they would be focused around pre-post flight. Weight and Balance comes to mind, as well as a basic log book.

--Adam

FYI Sony Ericsson announced that they are not going to build phones based on the Window platform for now. They see Android as the way forward and plan to release phones this year on version 2.3 mainly.

Back