Anyone use Google Earth in flight planning?

Eric Gleason

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Eric Gleason
While playing with Google Earth and reviewing a ground track saved from Foreflight, I realized that it can be a good tool to help brief the arrival at a new airport. I've often found unfamiliar airports hard to see (sometimes even familiar airports), so knowing what the approach looks like from altitude has worked well.

Anyone tried it?

While playing with Google Earth and reviewing a ground track saved from Foreflight, I realized that it can be a good tool to help brief the arrival at a new airport. I've often found unfamiliar airports hard to see (sometimes even familiar airports), so knowing what the approach looks like from altitude has worked well.

Anyone tried it?

For unfamiliar airports it's as routine to me as checking the weather and doing preflights. Not Google Earth exactly, but other satellite view apps. Foreflight has Aerial View.

For sure, awesome tool for planning, I’ll often use the satellite image map layer in foreflight, however it often doesn’t zoom to as much detail compared to google.

The difference with Google Earth is that you can alter the view to an oblique angle so it looks about like what you'll see from the cockpit. I've used the satellite view for years, too, but sometimes that's not enough help, particularly when there's a bunch of stuff nearby that makes it hard to pick out the airport from the surroundings.

I used GoogleEarth to scout and plan my prairie dogging trip to SD earlier this Summer. Once zoomed in you can see the bare partches around the holes. I got us into doggy nirvana. One place we walked 2 miles in to be surrounded by flea bitten rodentia. The other great spot we were able to park the truck with the gear nearby.

To those who have disdain for such activities, it’s better than poison. As Clint said, ‘buzzards gotta eat’.

The difference with Google Earth is that you can alter the view to an oblique angle so it looks about like what you'll see from the cockpit. I've used the satellite view for years, too, but sometimes that's not enough help, particularly when there's a bunch of stuff nearby that makes it hard to pick out the airport from the surroundings.

You know you can use Google Maps Satellite View - press CTRL and left click (hold down and move mouse) to get the same 3D view you get on Google Earth.

I use this feature all the time. Basically any time I am going to a new airport I use it.
runway.JPG

Last edited:
7jkRHv8.jpg

I used GoogleEarth to scout and plan my prairie dogging trip to SD earlier this Summer. Once zoomed in you can see the bare partches around the holes. I got us into doggy nirvana. One place we walked 2 miles in to be surrounded by flea bitten rodentia. The other great spot we were able to park the truck with the gear nearby.

To those who have disdain for such activities, it’s better than poison. As Clint said, ‘buzzards gotta eat’.

What are you popping them with?

Used it a lot for flying the BC...

I use both, sat view and google earth. I am planning a trip to Cody this fall and I am using earth pro and it’s ruler to judge the distance between high points to see how far they actually are from my intended flight path. Very helpful. Bw did you know you can import FAA ADSB coverage map onto the Earth and overlay it? Super helpful, cuz when I have ADSB in... I ain’t looking out ... ok I kid about the last part.... not

I had to left click...otherwise, thanks for the tip. Check out KSEZ, pretty realistic.

Oh sorry yea I meant left click. Yea it’s pretty cool

Do it all the time in FF. Turn on the 'Aerial Map' option. You have to turn off the VFR sectional or IFR map to see it though.

I always use Google Earth before a flight to an unfamiliar destination. I use the flight simulator too which is kinda cool. It offers a realistic perspective for visual navigation. Also, most airport publications do a poor job describing the location of FBOs, transient parking and fuel. Snooping around with Google Earth helps identify those places on the airport.

I even stepped up the geek factor on one flight where I printed out color imagery, showing ground features defining the edges of restricted airspace outside of Trona CA - just in case I simultaneously lost GPS and radio contact.

What are you popping them with?

We brought a few to many, the 17 HMRs didn’t get used much. The younger Son mostly used a custom 22” AR with a Shilen barrel, Timney trigger. I used Browning Varmint 204 and then a heavier weight 24” Model 70, 223. The Model 70 was most effective with the quality scope. Just about all loads were handloaded 50 grain V-maxes and Blitzking bullets.

I knew about the 3D view in Maps, but actually had forgotten about it. Earth seems to have higher fidelity than Maps but they're both good tools. I've used the overhead satellite view as well, but since I have it in Foreflight I'm most likely just to use that.

Here's the oblique view I use Google Earth for. This example is KOXC, Oxford, CT.

KOXC google earth.jpg KOXC Google Maps.jpg

Here's Albany from the south (Google Maps). Could you pick out the airport if you weren't familiar with the area? (It's not in the center of the frame.) I sure wouldn't be able to find it if I didn't already know where it is, and I've lived and flown here for more than 20 years.

KALB.jpg

That’s a great idea. In the past I would use flight sims to help prepare but google earth would be a great way to supplement that.

It would be amazing if they built a rough flight sim environment in as a layer. Specify location, altitude, speed and heading and google earth mimics that from a pilot perspective.

Google earth also has a flight simulator built into it.

Just FYI

Thanks for the google earth flight sim tip! I think I knew about it early on, but never had much use for it and forgot about it. I'll check it out again.

Back