anyone seen this before?

yea bad news that one, It seem like he should be going fast enough, unless there was a tail wind. It looked like you could see the wings stalling but I don't think I've ever seen wings move that much while stalling before. Could it have been a microburst?

this one has made the rounds but it seems from reports and the bushes blowing in the video that there was a fair tailwind.

yea bad news that one, It seem like he should be going fast enough, unless there was a tail wind. It looked like you could see the wings stalling but I don't think I've ever seen wings move that much while stalling before. Could it have been a microburst?

This accident and video were discussed to death on the Beech list. IIRC a W&B analysis showed that the takeoff shouldn't have been a problem baring an engine problem.

Whatever the cause (engine power loss, dragging brakes, not using full throttle, less than max RPM, not properly leaned etc.) what you see in the video is a classic case of flying out of ground effect "behind the power curve". IOW when the plane got high enough that ground effect was no longer, well effective, the plane was at a speed where more power than what was being developed was required to maintain airspeed and altitude. Pitching up would just slow the plane more.

Commercial Pilot. But this just about explains the whole thing:

"Cameron Air Park is located in a slight geographical bowl, with rising terrain at both ends of the runway. Field elevation is 1,293 feet msl. The single runway is marked 31 and 13, and is 4,051 feet long. The Cameron Park Fire Department reported that the temperature at the scene of the accident around 1300 was 107 degrees Fahrenheit. In addition to the 4 adults on board, the airplane was loaded with 271 pounds of additional baggage/cargo, and at least 60 gallons of fuel." From the preliminary report.

Back