Anyone see "The Aviators" on PBS?

nddons

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Stan
I found "The Aviators" at 6:30 PM on Sunday, and taped the series. I received an email about this and found it on my local PBS station.

I think this was the first episode in the series, and it involved AirVenture, the Tiger Moth, Jeff Skiles, the C-5 Galaxy, and a guy who survived an "unsurvivable flat spin."

After all of the promotion at AirVenture, and online at other places, and with what appears to be a big production infrastructure, I was anxiously waiting to see the show, and I've got to say I was pretty disappointed.

The production was fine, but they crammed a lot into a 30 minute segment.

But most shockingly, do we need to scare the nonflying public by talking about the miraculous survival of an "unsurvivable flat spin?" Is that going to expand the audience beyond the pilot population? And did we need to include that in the first episode? Seriously?

I'll continue to watch and hope that I become impressed, but so far I'm disappointed.

Tom Gresham, your "Wings to Adventure" show had no equal. I'm so sorry that the Outdoor Network dropped your show.

It can not be too easy making a film that is geared to any special interest group, be it flying or diving, snow boarding, parachuting, etc.. Whatever subject is presented, it must be able to stand up to the withering scrutiny of all who participate in it.

It must go beyond all the typical clichés associated with the subject, and hopefully present something that has not been hashed over a bazillion times in all the publications and movies that have been floating through that particular community for years.

Then, on top of all that, it must be interesting to non participants as well.

I never expect too much from these things because of all the limitations associated with them. I also do not go out of my way to watch them for the same reasons.

John

Back