Anyone Remember Larry Lujack, WLS Chicago

Anyone remember Larry Lujack? He was a DJ on AM radio station WLS in Chicago in the 70's & 80s. Extremely funny skits while playing the latest tunes.

His " Animal Stories " was the best.

He died yesterday at age 78. :mad:

http://wgnradio.com/2013/12/19/remembering-larry-lujack/

Sure do. I grew up listening to him in the 60's and early 70's. It was an interesting time, and the music on the radio was great. Sorry to hear of his passing.

Bummer. I remember him well.

We picked up WLS in Racine, WI just fine. He was the best.

I grew up with him. What was funny was that later in his career he moved over to WCFL when they decide to give WLS a run for their money. While there CFL (Chicago Federation of Labor) went all elevator music and the "DJ" was just a voice there to announce the time and temperature. Lujack had a contract that they couldn't get out of so he sat there and did the time and temperature thing for awhile.

For those of you who lived in the Chicago area in the 60's and 70's, do you remember the drag racing commercials that started with "SUNDAY, SUNDAY, SUNDAY!"? I still can hear it in my head.

For those of you who lived in the Chicago area in the 60's and 70's, do you remember the drag racing commercials that started with "SUNDAY, SUNDAY, SUNDAY!"? I still can hear it in my head.

Yes, I do! I went to the drag races. Heavy Chevy iron ruled the day.... for a while. :yesnod:

Remember Little Tommy, Larry Lujack's side kick? :rofl:

Last edited:
Do remember him, but more Dick Biondi. He was suspended a couple times after remarks I happened to be tuned in and heard. Like: if woman's skirts get much sorter, they'll have more hair to comb and cheeks to powder. Still remember going to Maduras Dance Land and dancing to Louie, Louie! Some great memories.

Best,

Dave

"Smokin' US 30 Dragstrip".

Yea, I remember fondly. Thanks a lot. Now I'm going to hear it all night...:yesnod:

".....US 30 DRAG RACEWAY....Be there....be there.......be there...."

I grew up in OKLAHOMA listening to Ol' Uncle Lar. WLS came in loud and clear in the winter before sunrise. It was listening to these "superstars" that made me want to get into radio. I owe a very nice radio career to those guys.

I was programming a station in ABQ a few years back and Larry walked into my office and sat down on my couch. I was stunned! He was retired to Santa Fe and had come into the station to do some voice work. It was like being in the presence of royalty!

Larry Lujack, Brant Miller, John Landecker... all inspiration for getting to make a living doing something I love.

Eddie

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

RE.....Chicago stations. WGN? at night! great music back in the 60s,70's sponsor was a beer company. Very good DJ who really knew his music. Excellent voice. His name?

Larry Lujack - one of the best.... He and Dan Ingram at W-AAA-BC, New York really made the profession. Folks like Ron Lundy, Cousin Brucie, and Big Ron O'Brien were all the superjocks of the '60's and '70's. We're losing them.

Lujack moved several times between WLS and WCFL (The Voice of Labor) in his time on the radio in Chicago. He hated the big city, but made tons of money back then. IIRC, he took his last name from that of a famous football player for da Bears.

And Mr. Norm's Grand Spaulding Dodge.

We could also pick up WLS in North Mississippi.

RE: the route 30 drag strip......where was this located? There was one at York , penna airport years ago, on route 30 , I saw don garlitz there in his " monster" . Anyone remember him ?

RE: the route 30 drag strip......where was this located? There was one at York , penna airport years ago, on route 30 , I saw don garlitz there in his " monster" . Anyone remember him ?

Hobart, Indiana.

There was also the "Great Lakes Dragaway" in Union Grove, Wisconsin that advertised on WLS.

Note "Dragaway" is not a typo.

That stinks :( Is Little Tommy still above ground?

I grew up in OKLAHOMA listening to Ol' Uncle Lar. WLS came in loud and clear in the winter before sunrise. It was listening to these "superstars" that made me want to get into radio. I owe a very nice radio career to those guys.

I was programming a station in ABQ a few years back and Larry walked into my office and sat down on my couch. I was stunned! He was retired to Santa Fe and had come into the station to do some voice work. It was like being in the presence of royalty!

Larry Lujack, Brant Miller, John Landecker... all inspiration for getting to make a living doing something I love.

Eddie

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

John RECORDS Landecker. Yes, Records was his middle name.

ABC had the big Top 40 stations and talent back then... WABC, WLS, KQV (where Rush got his start), WXYZ....

Back