Anyone recommend avionic shop around okla?

Jthamilton

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Okie182
Newbie here on the site looking for some avionics advise.

I'm currently evaluating a turbo 182 rg for the family. Like most the avionics are quite outdated. I've been considering the aspen mfd pro 1000 and a 430w along with new avidyne dfc90 autopilot. Of course the wish list depends on how much the seller agrees to sell her for.

I'm looking for a reputable list of avionic shops in and around Oklahoma where I can start getting quotes from.

Thanks all

Where in OK? Sparks in Tulsa is among the best, as is Kings in the KC area (not OK, but not far.) The shop in Durant has done some good work as well. Several good shops in N TX as well.

Newbie here on the site looking for some avionics advise.

I'm currently evaluating a turbo 182 rg for the family. Like most the avionics are quite outdated. I've been considering the aspen mfd pro 1000 and a 430w along with new avidyne dfc90 autopilot. Of course the wish list depends on how much the seller agrees to sell her for.

I'm looking for a reputable list of avionic shops in and around Oklahoma where I can start getting quotes from.

Thanks all

I fly out of Tulsa riverside RVS and use to work in hangar next to sparks. When discussing some things with a few locals their name never comes up. I will definitely call them, in past they were said to be little pricy. PO of my Cherokee six had some work there.

Kansas city is an easy hop for me, its a great reason to fly for some barbecue, I will look into kings.
I would love to hear some personal experiences

Thanks

Sparks is pricey. They also know what they are doing. It was worth the trip from Denver.

The second makes the first worthwhile in my book since I went with bargain price the first couple of times through.

Sparks is pricey. They also know what they are doing. It was worth the trip from Denver.

The second makes the first worthwhile in my book since I went with bargain price the first couple of times through.

For some items in life, paying a bit higher rate to the outfit "who knows what they are doing" can be worth it. Sure it looks higher at the start, but if it takes less time for the install and there are very few or no issues post install, then the few extra mini-AMU's can be worth it.

If your looking to install a 430w I can do that for you. I just installed one in a C182 along with a 340 audio panel last winter with no issues. I am located just south of KC at KLRY.

Last edited:
Wings Avionics in Fayetteville, AR

None better.

I have ZERO wiring in my plane that's not serving a purpose.

Reasonably priced but it may take a while for you to get your plane in because good shops with reasonable pricing are hard to find.

Numerous other shops have been behind my panel while doing IFR cents and whatnot and the typical comment is "wow, who did your panel? Nice work!". And considering that's coming from other shops........

:thumbsup:

Call Mike or Nate at 918-682-4101 and tell them Brent sent you...they may only charge you double.:rofl: Just kidding...I can pick u up if you decide to go with them...u buy the gas...it's only 12=15 minutes depending on winds.

Cheers,
Brent

Sounds good Brent, the owner is suppose to get the logs ready this week so I can have George look me over. May pay some fuel to travel to las cruces in near future if your up for it.
Thanks for your input. I will call early next week.
Jon

I have used Sparks in Tulsa. (Pricey but good work, if you can live with the arrogance of Bob F.)

I have used King Avionics in the Kansas City area. (Pricey and be prepared to go to the back of the line if a King Air rolls in)

I have used Caris Midwest now located at OJC for a number of installs on various aircraft. (Chris has always treated me right on installs and is a bit less expensive. Cell: (816)820-6600 I don't know his work number. Tell him Jim Bordoni sent you (not Gordon Shumway).

I have used cheap shops and more expensive shops, usually I get what I pay for. :rolleyes: There is some value in having it done on time, on budget and right the first time. :D When I had my Aspen installed, it was on time, a little over budget, and it worked flawlessly from the start. :D Another thing, is will they get you in if you have a problem or do you go to the back of the line? The shop that did my 421 panel and 182 430W (cheapest) was too busy when I had a problem with my HSI on the 421, it wasn't warranty work, I just needed someone to look at it and tell me what was happening. The more expensive shop said fly it down and we'll have a look at it and fly you home and drop you off. It needed a power supply and a couple other things, I ended up with a new Aspen as well. :D Never tell a customer you are too busy to look at their problem. :nono:

Numerous other shops have been behind my panel while doing IFR cents and whatnot and the typical comment is "wow, who did your panel? Nice work!". And considering that's coming from other shops........

That's impressive. I have never found a shop that's said anything besides "What dip**** worked on this plane last?"

What's funny is when the shop in question was that dip****...

That said, I've yet to have any problems with an installation once the work has been done. I have had time delay issues, though.

Sounds good Brent, the owner is suppose to get the logs ready this week so I can have George look me over. May pay some fuel to travel to las cruces in near future if your up for it.
Thanks for your input. I will call early next week.
Jon

George is the best...I grew up in a 182 and still have my Dad's 1979 Q model...I can't part with it because it's a member of the family (and just a damn good plane! I refer to it as the P337 support Aircraft) so if you need any help let me know. Las Cruces...I remember it well from my time stationed at Holloman AFB during LIFT. That is one out of the way place, but if that is where your plane is from...it could not be in a drier more corrosion free place.

Brent

Wings Avionics in Fayetteville, AR

None better.

I second Tim's recommendation. While I haven't used the shop personally, many flyers here in North Central Arkansas have, and they have nothing but good to say about Brady's work.

Back