Anyone recognize this town?

wsuffa

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bill S.
It's from the "old picture" collection. I don't recognize it, and there's no label to indicate location. Based on it's sequence, I suspect it's east of Salt Lake City, somewhere along one of the old trunk rail lines from Chicago.

The rock formation should be a clue...

attachment.php

Attachments

• Old_Town.jpg
    Old_Town.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 357
Ok, so I cheated, I Googled "Green Gander Bar". It turns out that there is a Green Gander Bar in both Rock Springs and Green River, Wyoming. I found this picture that proves your picture to be of Green River, Wyoming:

http://protophoto.com/picture.html?pic=12157

Note the brick building to the right of the Green Gander. I think it is pretty cool that the bar is still in business.

Wow. Perfect!

Thanks Bruce & Tony!

The bank building (F. N. Bank) in my picture still exists - in Tony's picture you can make out the "1st National Bank" written on the side of the building!

Green River will now be a stop on my "then and now" picture tour.....

Last edited:
Isn't Green River where the Intergalactic Spaceport is? I was in Rock Springs last winter and was going to drive out there but I figured it wouldn't be too good an idea in a snowstorm...

Isn't Green River where the Intergalactic Spaceport is? I was in Rock Springs last winter and was going to drive out there but I figured it wouldn't be too good an idea in a snowstorm...

I do wanna make a low pass at the Spaceport someday if you're up for the trip out-n-back some Saturday or Sunday.

I do wanna make a low pass at the Spaceport someday if you're up for the trip out-n-back some Saturday or Sunday.
As long as that TCAS of yours will also detect extraterrestrial vehicles... :crazy:

As long as that TCAS of yours will also detect extraterrestrial vehicles... :crazy:

I think we're okay on that with the Klingons but the Romulans are a bit dicey if they're cloaked.

It looks like they have a severe erosion problem with that river... You would think that the government would be building dikes, or berms, or something... tsk, tsk... Some peoples government's!

denny-o

A little research clarifies things. Green River was apparently a major yard for the UP, and a place where the main line branched off. My dad made the trip by train as best I can tell (his dad was either a conductor or a freight agent or both in Providence and Boston), with maybe a rental car to see Grand Canyon. There are other pictures in sequence that seem to include rail yards & equipment, which would probably be Green River. Green River's along the main line west, so some of the other unfilled pieces fall into place.

I still think I'm missing a few rolls, hopefully I can find them before the film deteriorates much more. I opened a film can last night to the smell of vinegar (fortunately the film in question is safety film, not nitrate).

Geez... And you guy/gals think the Rock Springs airport is out in the middle of nowhere... I flew over the "spaceport" last year on the way to Grand Junction.. To say it is desolate is an understatement..:yes:..

It was so overgrown I bet it barely shows up on Google Earth...

Last edited:
Great old photo - reminds me of the old Kirk Douglas movie "Ace In The Hole"

Geez... And you guy/gals think the Rock Springs airport is out in the middle of nowhere... I flew over the "spaceport" last year on the way to Grand Junction.. To say it is desolate is an understatement..:yes:..

It was so overgrown I bet it barely shows up on Google Earth...
Here it is as of July 2012, with its namesake river in the background:

IMG_3351.JPG

That would be the town of White Pidgeon....

It's from the "old picture" collection. I don't recognize it, and there's no label to indicate location. Based on it's sequence, I suspect it's east of Salt Lake City, somewhere along one of the old trunk rail lines from Chicago.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I doubted it could be Utah. I think Utah tended to have all dry counties in the 30's

From the time period of the original picture I would have not guessed SLC. Back then I don't think they would have allowed a bar to be that conspicuous.

Hellooooooooo people??

The riddle was solved nearly two and a half years ago!

Read...then post...yes, I know, It's a difficult concept.

Its a few years old, but what the hell - I wanted to play with Google Street Maps:
attachment.php

Attachments

• GR1.png
    GR1.png
    518.4 KB · Views: 38
  • GR2.png
    GR2.png
    501.6 KB · Views: 12
  • GR3.png
    GR3.png
    354.9 KB · Views: 9
Back