Anyone need a Westwind II Jet?

alaskaflyer

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Alaskaflyer
http://www.adn.com/news/politics/story/8549507p-8443338c.html

Another effort to rid the state of Alaska's multi-million dollar corporate jet through the Internet auction site eBay has failed. The state had wanted about $2.5 million to unload the jet, but the top offer was just over $2 million. This was the second failed attempt to dump the controversial jet on the Internet auction site since it was put up for bid last month...
Former Gov. Frank Murkowski bought the 23-year-old Westwind II for nearly $2.7 million and did so against the wishes of many political leaders.
It later became a high-profile campaign issue in his bid for a second term, and may have helped Palin trounce him in the primary.
Murkowski was also the last to use the jet. Last month, in the waning days of being in office, he flew to Texas.
Palin was sworn in shortly after the trip and didn't wait too long before announcing plans to sell the aircraft on eBay.
In doing so one week later, she called the purchase "impractical" and "unwise." She also kept a campaign promise to unload the plane and hasn't set foot in it for any flight.

Interesting. Not the first time I've seen airplanes involved in political campaigns lately. Saw a TV commercial on it this fall here in WI. Governor Doyle's reelection campaign promoted his reduction of the state's fleet. (Sold eight planes.)

There's a February 20, 2006 article about the state's use of its aircraft in The Capital Times archive:
http://www.madison.com/archives/read.php?ref=/tct/2006/02/20/0602200513.php

The article mentions state planes being used to fly to places as little as 40 miles away.

It also mentions "using a state plane to pick up a $1,000 check from a donor in Superior," which is 243 nm away. Taxpayers paid for that flight.

At least it seems WI didn't have trouble reducing the fleet. That left us with 19 planes at the time of the above article. As for the Westwind in Alaska, hmm...

Interesting. Not the first time I've seen airplanes involved in political campaigns lately. Saw a TV commercial on it this fall here in WI. Governor Doyle's reelection campaign promoted his reduction of the state's fleet. (Sold eight planes.)

Grrrrr. :mad: I really hate that this has become a perennial campaign issue, and was a BIGGIE in the Doyle vs. McCallum election.

I was working at MWC at the time, and then-Gov. McCallum flew in in the state fleet's flagship, King Air N204W. I spoke with the pilots about it, and they said it's NOT saving the state any money, as many of the airplanes in the state fleet were donated to the state, and all of them are working airplanes - IE, for regular DNR flights and such - and that for every plane that was sold, the state had to lease another to pick up the slack in the aerial work that needs to be done, causing MORE expense, not less.

Arg. I hate government.

The article mentions state planes being used to fly to places as little as 40 miles away.

What they fail to mention is that that particular flight was to JVL for the Gov to participate in the groundbreaking for a new runway at the airport! I even wrote a letter to the editor that was published after that one. I asked if they thought he should go to the GM plant down there in his Ford too.

At least it seems WI didn't have trouble reducing the fleet. That left us with 19 planes at the time of the above article.

Interesting. IIRC the fleet had originally been 30 airplanes and they were trying to cut that in half.

FWIW, the state's hangar is right behind ours, and once in a while I'll see one or multiple state planes firing up to go somewhere. Most of their planes are PC12's. It's kind of odd to see three planes firing up to take 12-15 people somewhere. Which is cheaper, three PC12's or one Gulfstream?

Unfortunately the jet is actually a very useful asset, and its a shame that it must go due to politics. Our arrogant ex-gov tripped over himself and so now it must go.

Alaska ships most of its long-term felons to prisons in Texas and AZ and the jet was great for that. That's a loooong way for a King Air (of which the state retains two, in addition to a multitude of piston aircraft and helicopters.)

Alaska ships most of its long-term felons to prisons in Texas and AZ and the jet was great for that. That's a loooong way for a King Air (of which the state retains two, in addition to a multitude of piston aircraft and helicopters.)
Just ship 'em as "baggage" on most any major airline. Chances are nobody will ever see or hear from them again! :D

-- Pilawt

Unfortunately the jet is actually a very useful asset, and its a shame that it must go due to politics.
I think if any state can justify a jet it's Alaska. Rhode Island, maybe not.

Colorado has had state airplanes for years, not just for VIP transportation but for other uses too. I think they have a King Air, a C-340 and some C-182s.

Back