Anyone know if you can fly-in to airshow at SNS?

ActiveAir

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ActiveAir
Looks to be an awesome airshow. AF T-birds and other great acts. Had questions about flying-in, but got my questions answered very quickly via email from the organizers. Info below was sent to me via email attachment from organizers.

Quote:
California International Airshow

Salinas Municipal Airport Closure Times:

Flying activities should be planned around the times indicated below to avoid excessive delays in arrivals and departures.

September 26, 2014 Friday 1100-1500 Friday Practice Show

September 27, 2014 Saturday 1100-1700 Saturday Airshow

September 28, 2014 Sunday 1100-1700 Sunday Airshow

Fly-ins should plan for as early arrival as possible due to heavy late arriving traffic. Normal admission charges apply to all fly-in customers. Overnight tie-down charge is $3 single, $5 multi-engine. Parking assistance and shuttle bus will be provided.

No Pets Allowed on the Field

Frequencies
Tower 119.525 (831) 424-5022
Ground 121.7
ATIS 124.85
NOTAMs will show up in next day or two. I'm looking forward to seeing the show and checking out SNS!

Here is more info http://salinasairshow.com/

Last edited:
So, I book hotel and car for w/e of 9/27/14 in Salinas (SNS), to move my daughter into college nearby. Having never been there, I thought this would be a great place to check out. I check Airnav, NOTAMs, etc.

Then, after spending a couple of hours booking everything, and searching for more info about the airport, I inadvertently stumble across a website saying they are having an airshow that weekend. Looks like an awesome airshow. AF T-Birds and other great acts. Cool.

I look all over the website, including FAQ section, I call the airport mgr, I look at NOTAMs, and nothing anywhere about flying in transient/overnight during the weekend. The airport manager's office didn't even know. :hammer:

Does anyone have any idea if you can fly in on Sat and out on Sun, during non-performance times? Most of the other air shows I have been to have times for this (airport open), including such places as Reno, Chino, etc.
I don't mind paying to watch the show on Sunday. Looking forward to it. Just need to be able to fly in and out on Sat and Sun.

The website says the flying begins at 12:00, so I would expect a NOTAM to show up with effective hours of 12:00 to 5:00. Couldn't say for sure though until it shows up.

I suppose it's possible, but highly unlikely that they will have an airshow without a closure.

If there is any doubt, fly to Watsonville instead.

It's closer to Uncle Charlie's Summer Camp anyway.

Marina and Monterey are also possibilities, but marine layer bites them, especially Marina. It has been further north the past several days, though.

If you're headed to SJSU, go to Reid. That's not a bad location for UCSC as well, on a weekend. It's an hour drive to UCSC from Salinas, about 50 minutes from Reid in weekend traffic.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick replies. I did get some info very quickly from the organizers and so have edited my OP with that info. Looking forward to checking it out.

@MAKG1 - Thanks for the additional suggestions. I'm just checking out all of the options. Also, funny nickname for UCSC. Hadn't heard that one, yet. Yeah, I've got a little anxiety about her choice, but I've also heard a lot that's very good about it. We'll see. Having hard time getting behind the mascot. :rolleyes: Love the area, though.

I was a grad student at UCSC, so let me tell you, that nickname fits.

Elfland isn't what it was due to College 10 expansion, but there are a lot of ways to waste time there.

Check out the limestone-caves-that-don't-exist in -- get this -- Cave Gulch -- just past the west entrance on Empire Grade. Bring clothes you don't mind thoroughly saturating in nasty mud. It's the dry season now, but it's still likely wet inside the caves.

Some of the departments at UCSC are pretty good. Some of them are spotty at best. Go Slugs!

There used to be an airport in Scotts Valley, but it had a rep for hairy departures and go-arounds due to terrain. It was closed in the 80s, not long after Woz crashed his Bo there. Some of the runway is still there (between the library and the propane shop), and it's used by RCers every nice weekend day.

Last edited:
Back