Anyone into windsurfing?

Bill

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
This page intentionally left blank
Always wanted to try, and I'm thinking of maybe a trip to FL this winter season to try some lessons?

Anyone windsurf? Comments? Suggestions?

I've never done it, but I agree that it looks like a lot of fun! Fort George Inlet is a very popular wind surfing area here. It's a protected inlet with calm water but nice winds. Every time I drive by the place (on my way to some favorite fishing spots) there are always several wind surfers there. I'd love to try it sometime.

Fort George Inlet is a very popular wind surfing area here. It's a protected inlet with calm water but nice winds. Every time I drive by the place (on my way to some favorite fishing spots) there are always several wind surfers there. I'd love to try it sometime.

I've heard good things about this school on the Banana River at Merritt Island:

http://www.calema.com/

I'm thinking once winter sets in, a week down there in February learning to solo one of those things might not be a bad thing...

I got into it something like 30 years ago when it first started to become popular but haven't done much in the past several years. I have taught a few dozen people the basics which most folks can assimilate in 15-30 minutes. Prior sailing experience of any kind makes for much quicker initial progress but isn't required. I never encountered anyone who couldn't manage to make it work when the wind was right.

The keys to quick success are:

A big board
A sail properly sized for the wind.
Non gusty wind, preferrably 7-10 Kt.
An instructor on another board or boat nearby for one on one coaching.

There is much about windsurfing that's not intuitive so some instruction is imperative.

Like Lance said. Also, it really makes sense to go somewhere you can windsurf every day for about a week, e.g. on vacation in Aruba or Cape Hatteras or the Jersey Shore, and devote at least a couple hours a day to it. If you persevere, which many people don't, you should be tacking and gybing by the 3rd or 4th day and staying up almost all the time by the fifth - as long as winds aren't too strong. Expect to be blown downwind constantly for the first couple days, and to get a lot of upper body exercise early on!

It's really worth the effort IMO - I love to do it whenever I get the chance, which is not often enough.

Always wanted to try, and I'm thinking of maybe a trip to FL this winter season to try some lessons?

Anyone windsurf? Comments? Suggestions?

It's been surpassed, Kite Surfing is a heck of a lot more fun, and easier.

I've heard good things about this school on the Banana River at Merritt Island:

http://www.calema.com/

I'm thinking once winter sets in, a week down there in February learning to solo one of those things might not be a bad thing...

You'll need a wet suit in February:hairraise: . You already sail, so for you it's pretty much an issue just of balance and understanding that "Mast Bending" is how you steer. Tilt aft to go to weather, forward to fall off, then trim the sheet(your back arm) to keep the foil in lift.

Back