Anyone interested in skiplanes?

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
Hey folks,

Is anyone here interested in flying skiplanes? I've had fun with it, and Tony's glide-a-thon has inspired me to at least think about organizing a weekend where we all get together and fly skiplanes (such as the one in my avatar).

While it's cold (you CAN dress warm, ya know), it's also some of the most fun flying I've ever done. Location would be Cadillac, MI as I don't know of anyplace else where skiplanes can be rented. At this stage of the game, we're probably talking next winter, but I wanted to see if y'all are interested so I can do some of the planning when I go up there in a couple of weeks.

if finances allow, im in kent. you and rick seem to have way too much fun up there.

Hey folks,

Is anyone here interested in flying skiplanes?

What the heck is a Skip Plane?

Hope you are laughing.

Once I figured it out I started laughing and haven't quit.

I thought maybe it was one of those ground-effect aircraft or some such...

Skip plane...

Still laughing...

Kent - this sounds like fun! I was a passenger in a 185 skiplane during our vacation in New Zealand a couple of years ago, and I thought that landing was quite the art form. Next winter is good timing, too; gives me time to get the tailwheel endorsement taken care of.

Leslie

Count me in!

Dad and I were out doing t-n-g's at OTM in the Archer a few years ago in the winter. They only had one runway plowed clear of the 10"+ of snow. We saw a small yellow plane out in the middle of the airport and we both said "How the heck did he get out there?!" Then we saw him get up to speed and take off. We both had googley eyes and said "Wow.. THAT looks like fun!"

Is there a "ski-plane" add-on that you get from the FAA (like seaplane) or is it just something get some training in and say "oh yeah, I've done that before".

Next winter is good timing, too; gives me time to get the tailwheel endorsement taken care of.

FWIW, you (and that's the collective you) won't need to worry about tailwheel, as you probably won't get enough time in one weekend to be checked out to fly solo.

We saw a small yellow plane out in the middle of the airport and we both said "How the heck did he get out there?!" Then we saw him get up to speed and take off. We both had googley eyes and said "Wow.. THAT looks like fun!"

It is. :yes: Especially in a yellow airplane. :)

Is there a "ski-plane" add-on that you get from the FAA (like seaplane) or is it just something get some training in and say "oh yeah, I've done that before".

Nope, it's the same as if the plane was on wheels. PP-ASEL with tailwheel endorsement.

What Leslie said. I want to get the TW endorsement but that's totally separate from the skiplane stuff.

Kent depending on Money at the time Count me in too. by then i should have tailwheel,and maybe even flown with ski's in my buddy's Champ.
Dave G. (always learning)
P.S. i might even get up there to do SES next summer.

Interesting tidbit: There is an article in this month's EAA "Sport Aviation" mag about skiplanes. Haven't actually read it yet, it's the next article in line to read, though.

I'd be very interested, as long as I could put the cash together.

Interesting tidbit: There is an article in this month's EAA "Sport Aviation" mag about skiplanes. Haven't actually read it yet, it's the next article in line to read, though.

Thanks for the tip, Chris! I probably would have missed it otherwise, I don't have much time for magazine reading.

The article is pretty much right on.

FWIW, the planes at CAD (last year, anyway) include a Cub with hydraulic-retract wheel penetration skis, and a Super Cub on straight skis ("board" skis in the article).

Thanks for the tip, Chris! I probably would have missed it otherwise, I don't have much time for magazine reading.

Same here. Between all the flying, hunting, fishing, and now business magazines I get, I basically thumb through each one when it comes in to see if any article titles catch my eye, dog ear the page, and put it in a stack to read during both minutes of free time I have each week. :)

Back