Anyone here ever flown to Mexico?

onwards

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
onwards
So...

... for my next adventure, I am trying to plan a flight to LTO. It's certainly within my "distance experience", being about 500nm from San Diego.

However, I have never flown internationally. I am trying to research this myself, but wondering if any of you who have experience flying down there can give me pointers, tips, things to focus on, and so on and so forth.

All help appreciated!

I've only ever flown to and from Cozumel or Cancun. Expect it to take about 2 hours after landing to clear customs. A handler will help in this regard. If you're able to go non-stop from the states to your destination (assuming they're an international airport) that will definitely make things easier.

Never had any problems.

I suggest you join the Baja Bush Pilots, or at least check out their website. They've got a group of 50 planes there this weekend. 'No handlers needed. LTO is very friendly and a safe place to park the bird.
Loreto Mulege pics

Last edited:
It might cost an extra dollar or two - but Google "International Weather" and check out their service. I spent many years flying out of McAllen Tx into Mexico and really enjoyed it all. A scenario I might suggest is to first head for McAllen for an RON. Check with Sanborn's for your required insurance and they can fill you in on all that is required. Next morning - jump over to Reynosa and sign in to Mexico. Remember to have all Your documents - Passport, Pilots license, Aircraft ownership, U S Insurance. Being you are in San Diego, Google Sanborns and give them a call - I am certain there is an office between you and the border. I envy you - have fun ///////// EGAdams - egadams32@gmail.com

Not sure about LTO, but make sure you bring bribe money just in case. If you need anything, or have to get out of anything, yes they take bribes.

I've only ever flown to and from Cozumel or Cancun. Expect it to take about 2 hours after landing to clear customs. A handler will help in this regard. If you're able to go non-stop from the states to your destination (assuming they're an international airport) that will definitely make things easier.

Never had any problems.

what is a handler?

Flown over it for about 20 minutes due to unusual ifr vectors. Never landed there tho :)

I've flown down to Cozumel and Merida but it's been a few years. As has been said AOPA had good information on what to do. You also need the international flight plan and will have to call customs to coordinate your return. Look at POE customs info, you can't overfly the first customs checkpoint without a permit. So, know your options. They have different length tie down there generally. I brought my own and needed them. Armed guards accompanied me in Cozumel to the terminal and back from the plane. Merida didn't have guards meet me but they were between the FBO and commercial terminal. Had to pay for avgas in cash: US or Mexican. Check insurance coverage. Even if your policy may cover you, Mexican insurance may be required. They only asked to see proof of insurance from me.

Best,

Dave

"handler..."
Some places, especially where they might have lots of jet traffic, have people who "take you through the process", of getting permits, dealing with paperwork, and arranging stuff. Expiditers.

LTO is an AOE, so you can land there from SandyEggo, and process all paperwork. And use it as your Mexico departure point. Depending on your range, some would say a stop in San Felipe would be best, to top-off and do most of your paperwork there. 'Never been asked for a radio operators license, and BBP says it's an ICAO thing that isn't done in Mexico.

Last edited:
Handler----- Not so much to do with jet traffic. I used a handler in Honduras because I do not speak Spanish. She did the following for me: Arranged for fuel, customs in and out, ground transportation both ways, filed my departure flight plan.
To the OP: This is not an exhaustive list but it will point you in the right direction
1. Establish an eAPIS account and learn how to use it.
2. Customs sticker
3. If you are going IFR learn how to use/file an ICAO flight plan
4. Mexican liability insurance
5. Restricted radio operators permit
6. Radio station license (some say they have never been asked for items 5 and 6, you decide how much you want to risk)
7. I think 121.5 ELT's are not legal outside the US
I used Jeppesen to find me a handler and pay all of my airspace use fees. Your airspace fees can be billed directly to the aircraft owner listed on the registration. Jeppesen also got my credit card pre approved for fuel.
I am sure others will add to this.

So...

... for my next adventure, I am trying to plan a flight to LTO. It's certainly within my "distance experience", being about 500nm from San Diego.

However, I have never flown internationally. I am trying to research this myself, but wondering if any of you who have experience flying down there can give me pointers, tips, things to focus on, and so on and so forth.

All help appreciated!

Been a few years. http://pad39a.com/gene/mexico.html

Wow.. Thank you all, have been reading furiously and there is a lot to figure out. We really do have it easy here in the US, don't we?

Wow.. Thank you all, have been reading furiously and there is a lot to figure out. We really do have it easy here in the US, don't we?

We do, but the other thing worth noting is that when you're traveling internationally it's more difficult anyway.

MMLT is a cinch direct from So Cal. eApis and decal are important. File and open a VFR flight plan before crossing the border southbound. In addition to eApis, make sure you notify customs at Brown or wherever you will clear customs in advance. You can update your eta and get a transponder code from SD Radio at least a half an hour south of the border. Take four or five thousand pesos with you, it'll make things easier. You don't need a radio license or a 406 elt, and they say US insurance is ok if it explicitly covers you in Mexico. I am, however, still paying $85 per year for Mexican insurance.

Things have changed even over the last couple of years, so be careful what you read and discern the time frame that any helpful advice is given. Be sure you are operating with the latest info.
For instance, a couple years back, you filed a "roundtrip" flight plan, with the ADCUS notes. Then flight service started saying you didn't have an official flight plan back, it was just an "customs notice", so when you went to close it, they would say you never had a flight plan, so you can't close it. More recently, they've started asking for a phone call, to the customs location where you will be crossing. The need for the phone call seems to vary wildly, depending on location and even personnel.
And things are getting modernized in Mexico. They are keeping records and sharing them among themselves and the US. Now it's possible that LTO will contact the US, and let them know you've "opened your flight plan". And if you do something stupid, like try to leave the country without checking out, they'll know it and bring it up on a subsequent visit.
Last I heard, 406 ELTs won't be required until June of this year... and that deadline has been kicked down the road 3 or 4 times in the past.

Last edited:
It depends where you go. Use a handler and bring cash. We usually bring $1000 every time we go to Mexico. I've only been to MMSD and MMLP but they were really fast. Cleared customs in under 15 minutes. A good handler will help significantly. Make sure you have proof of mexican aircraft insurance with you.

The most frustrating part is re-entering the US. US CBP has different rules at almost every AOE. Regardless of where you clear, you have to file eAPIS and notify them of your arrival but every officer and AOE likes to do it "their way." SDM is actually a very easy stop inbound.

Personally I would not even fly a rental plane into Mexico.. There is absolutely NO way I would fly my own plane down there..:no::nonod:..

Especially with all the comments of " you need to take bribe money with you"..:mad::(

It's no different than the "OMG I'd never fly in a small plane, they're soooo dangerous..." and the lemmings who are afraid to go just repeat it over and over... Their loss.

I never had any problems going to Mexico but we always use a handler. If you are going IFR keep in mind they love DME arcs.

Ive been through Mexico a few times on different ferry flights to Guatemala. Each time I used a Handler. No one at the airport spoke english and I dont know spanish.

The first time I had the handler pay for the fuel and the handler billed me. The next time I paid for fuel directly and they fuelers stole my card number and went on a shopping spree!

I have never had to bribe anyone but I am sure that is because i had a handler to help me.

....... The next time I paid for fuel directly and they fuelers stole my card number and went on a shopping spree!

......QUOTE]

Ya see... Another good reason to stay the hell out of that cesspool..

... yeah, like it couldn't happen tonite in the U.S. when you hand your card to a waiter....

I never had any problems going to Mexico but we always use a handler. If you are going IFR keep in mind they love DME arcs.

Does that make them arc villains (g)

Last trip to Cozumel, when I contacted approach they told me I was number six for the arc approach (g). I was at 3,000 feet and could see I was near bases. Asked for 2,000 and got it. I reported I was visual and could see the runway. I was cleared number 2 (g).

Nassau cleared me for the arc, but gave me vectors all the way to the final course.

Anyway, thought it was worth sharing.

Best,

Dave

I live near Mexico. I wouldn't fly there.

:yeahthat:

I read. I've also been to Acapulco, Mexico City, Cancun, Matamores, Monterrey, Torreon, Chihuahua, Juarez. it used to be a great country. Now it truly is a dangerous, ****hole third world country.

Does that make them arc villains (g)
I think they just like making interesting looking procedures. ;)

Even the SIDS are arcs.

skitch.png

Back