Anyone heard of this helicopter?

I've looked at that bird, too. Looks like a blast!

But why would a private fixed-wing license be required to fly it in the U.S.? Seems strange to me. Having has some "familiarization training" in helicopters while in the service, they're not the easiest things to fly; and this one being a single-place aircraft, the pilot would be solo his/her first time flying the bird.

Even odder, the float version (with a smaller fuel tank to comply with FAR 103) is available as a legal ultralight. I guess that's good or bad, depending on your perspective.

But it sure does look like fun!

Last edited:
I've looked at that bird, too. Looks like a blast!

A non-pilot friend was just talking about this kit. I believe he was thinking he could teach himself to fly it since it is an ultralight (float version).

But why would a private fixed-wing license be required to fly it in the U.S.? Seems strange to me. Having has some "familiarization training" in helicopters while in the service, they're not the easiest things to fly; and this one being a single-place aircraft, the pilot would be solo his/her first time flying the bird.

I'm pretty certain that the "fixed wing" statement is incorrect. The website also mentions some sort of discount if you obtain some rotor wing training before purchasing the kit. Personally I can't see any sane person flying one of these without going through a significant portion of the PPL RW training. It's my understanding that the smaller a helicopter, the more difficult it is to fly. Add that to the fact that the first flight in one of these is likely to involve mis-rigged flight controls and other anomalies and I'd predict that anyone who builds one of these and attempts to fly it without having become an accomplished helicopter pilot will crash on the first flight.

Even odder, the float version (with a smaller fuel tank to comply with FAR 105) is available as a legal ultralight. I guess that's good or bad, depending on your perspective.

The rules allow for more weight if the aircraft can land on water, and this company found that they could squeak under the wire by adding lightweight floats. Somehow, converting to an ultralight by adding something seems a bit weird.

Stopped by Custer State Park in ND a couple years ago. There was a guy there trying to teach himself to fly a helicopter. I think it was an R-22. He had it tied to cement aircraft tiedowns out in the grass. IIRC he had four ropes about 6 feet long. The airtanker pilots were just shaking there heads. Never found out what happened.

I like the mosquito! I think it's a hoot - dunno if I'm brave enough to try it, though! :)

As regards the fool with the R22 at Custer State Park, this just goes to prove my theory that no matter what the endeavor, there is SOMEONE around that can and will conceive of the most idiotic way of doing that endeavor, and who will then jump right in, head-first. Sheesh. Double sheesh.

Personally I can't see any sane person flying one of these without going through a significant portion of the PPL RW training. It's my understanding that the smaller a helicopter, the more difficult it is to fly. Add that to the fact that the first flight in one of these is likely to involve mis-rigged flight controls and other anomalies and I'd predict that anyone who builds one of these and attempts to fly it without having become an accomplished helicopter pilot will crash on the first flight.

Lance, I certainly second your point about doing most if not all the training required for a PP-RH rating. Even that is not enough. Forgetting about the mosquito for the moment, there was a thread on Vertical Reference where the poster made the point that the pilot most likely to kill himself is a PP-RH who does a BFR every two years. Even for somebody who flies a lot, that just doesn't cut it, because in normal flight you don't do some of the things you need to do to stay proficient (for when the stuff hits the fan!).

BTW, size has an influence on ease of flight, but so do other factors. In particular, some helicopters like Bells and Robinsons have very sensitive controls. Other like Schweizer and Enstrom do not. You can be pretty ham-handed in an Enstrom. Try the same thing in a Robinson and you're going to be in trouble.

The other thing about size is, surprisingly, the heavier R44 is a little harder to land than the lighter R22. I'm not sure why this is, although I suspect it has to do with rotor disc height and rotor length, which I'm guessing conspire to get an R44 into significant ground effect higher than an R22. And they do get squirrely for that last 6 inches...

All of which takes me back to my point that I think I'll pass on flying a mosquito :hairraise:

Wow!!! I thought the R-22 had low rotor inertia, but that looks unreal...

Huh?

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Licensing:[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]No license is required to fly the Mosquito Air or the Mosquito XEL in the US. A private fixed wing license is required to fly the Mosquito XE in the US.[/FONT]
What's the difference and why a "fixed-wing"?

Actually, I know a guy who built/flies a helicycle. He said that in all, it took about 2 years to build at a cost of about $35k. He flies it to work every day that the weather allows (he owns an auto body shop and painted a landing pad in his parking lot). He said that for about $100 more per month than it costs him to drive, he cuts a 1 hr each way commute to 8 mins each way. Sounds like a good trade-off to me in order to spend more time with my family... and fly to work daily :).

Attachments

• a_n802as_1.jpg
    a_n802as_1.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC_4994.jpg
    DSC_4994.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 16
  • picture-18.jpg
    picture-18.jpg
    326.3 KB · Views: 13
  • picture-30.jpg
    picture-30.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 16
Cool little piece of vertical flight engineering, exceeded only by a design of similar weight, with at least four engines powering the rotor. Always wanted to see that power train. Leonardo would be proud.

Back