Anyone heard of an FBO that RENTS a Stratus to use with pilot owned iPads?

Kiddo's Driver

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Jim
A few years ago there was an FBO near me that would rent you a Garmin 496 if you were renting one of their planes. They had four planes and one 496. The first person to reserve the unit got it. It was nearly always rented.

Has anyone seen/heard of this being done with the Stratus units? I have an iPad and Foreflight Pro. I would love to be able to rent one when needed.

Jim

What would you pay per hour for a Stratus?
My local flight school rents cockpit cameras for their students.

Good question! What is weather worth to you? I think the 496 was rented on a per day charge, not an hourly.

I just Googled "rent 496" and found this plance:
http://www.walteraviation.com/fbo/garmin-496-for-rent.html

It is in Iowa and they charge $20 a day. Out of that $20 they are paying a weather subscription and some profit after having paid for the unit out of XX number of days of rental.

The Stratus is all $ upfront and then no subscription fee.

Jim

What would you pay per hour for a Stratus?
My local flight school rents cockpit cameras for their students.

Considering the useful life of such a device is about two years, and the average pilot who rents flies 50 hours a year or less, it's cheaper to rent at $10-12/hour.

I agree, day or at least 1/2 day is best

$650 (Stratus I, plus tax and shipping) / $20 = 32.5 days to break even in the first year. That is three days a month.

I think this is doable!

Jim

496 With XM is $10/day here.

One of the planes I rent the owner has a stratus in the hangar and a mount in the plane so you can take it if you want for no additional fee, of course it's a 182RG with Aspen and STEC auto-pilot so it's already a not-cheap rental.

Back