Anyone heard anything about ATP in NY?

ShaggyAce

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
ShaggyAce
Can anyone tell me anything about ATP on Long Island? Are there any benefits of going to an ATP rather than a smaller FBO? If i do choose ATP, will I be able to finish my degree whil I train there? What should the prices be like? I am also thinking about Academy of Aviation in Farmingdale. Any advice would be appreciated. AFROTC at my school is also an option but I dont want to serve if I cant fly and the military isn't exactly my cup of tea.

Don't know much about ATP but they are relatively new at ISP. As far as finishing your degree, well that depends on you. Getting your license requires at least two days out of a week at a minimum. Anything less will be a waste of time and money. You've got to be committed to it if that's what you really want, and lots of people are in school and taking lessons at the same time.

I go to Heritage Flight Academy for my review and to stay current on my IFR. They're professional and have a program that get's students done. I highly recommend them. Visit the others and you'll see what I mean.

For another alternative in aviation degrees - Utah Valley University. I'm going through their online program on Northrop's dime (except for the flight courses - which I have to pay for myself). Tuition is excellent, it's an accredited degree, and they will take transfer credits - it's just too bad that my music education doesn't count for much - by the time I finish I'll have something like 180 credits all told.

Yes, Heritage has the same program with Utah Valley State. I know a student who has a degree through them and it worked out very well.

Can anyone tell me anything about ATP on Long Island?
Not I.
Are there any benefits of going to an ATP rather than a smaller FBO?
ATP is a pretty well-known quantity -- large, organized, and structured. With a "smaller FBO," you rarely know what you're getting until you get it.

If i do choose ATP, will I be able to finish my degree whil I train there?
Since ATP is not a degree-granting institution, that's too hard a question to answer. You'd have to find out what your options are to pursue your college degree while flying at ATP. Check with your current higher learning institution, and do some research about degree-granting institutions near the ATP site.

What should the prices be like?
I believe they advertise their rates on their web site, so I suggest you start by looking there.

AFROTC at my school is also an option but I dont want to serve if I cant fly and the military isn't exactly my cup of tea.
If that's true, forget AFROTC whether you qualify for USAF pilot training or not. As a retired officer, I guarantee that if you don't want to be in the military, you will not be happy in the military, and that ususally turns out to be a very painful experience with the potential to stain your record permanently.

Back