Anyone have the Secret Decoder Ring for this NOTAM?

Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Light and Sporty Guy
CLE 05/047 ZOB AIRSPACE UNMANNED AIRCRAFT WITHIN AN AREA
BOUNDED BY: ART194036 ART102081 ART060075 ART070090
ART050050 ART123090 ART215040 ART229052 ART250037
ART270025 ART102011 ART194036 FL180-FL300 1400-2130 DAILY
UNTIL 1208022130

Looks like you've got UAV activity (unmanned aerial vehicle) near Watertown VOR. The UAV area of operations is spelled out as ART (Watertown) VOR radials and distances.

ART194036 is the Watertown 194 degree radial, at 36 DME, and so on.

UAV operations will be conducted between 18,000' and 30,000', between the hours of 1400 to 2130 daily, until August 2nd at 2130, this year.

Sure.

There will be unmanned aircraft operating from FL180 to FL300 from 1400 to 2130 daily until August 2nd, 2012 in a box defined by the Watertown VOR (ART).

The numbers are bearing and ranges of fixed points. Put them together and you get an area where the drones will be. (ART194036 means watertowns 194 radial at 36 nm)

Looks like you've got UAV activity (unmanned aerial vehicle) near Watertown VOR. The UAV area of operations is spelled out as ART (Watertown) VOR radials and distances.

UAV operations will be conducted between 18,000' and 30,000', between the hours of 1400 to 2130 daily, until August 2nd at 2130, this year.

Odd, most of the area described by those fix/radial/distances is not in ZOB airspace.

Thanks. VOR :rolleyes:

I was looking at those numbers and coming up totally blank.

You gotta love how DUATS comes up with so much stuff that is totally unrelated to the briefing you ask for (Local flight out of ONZ).

OK, I'll bite...what is ZOB airspace? ...and why does it matter in this context?

ZOB = Cleveland ARTCC

artccs.gif

Ok.. How does a UAV get to 18,000 to start the test without flying through 0-17,999 MSL airspace:dunno::dunno::dunno:

ZOB = Cleveland ARTCC

artccs.gif

Hmm... I see what they mean when they say I'm on the edge of two airspaces and they have to coordinate my clearances. The line separating ZSE and ZLC goes right through my airport it seems

OK, I'll bite...what is ZOB airspace? ...and why does it matter in this context?

ZOB is Cleveland ARTCC, located in Oberlin, Ohio. Centers have three letter identifiers beginning with Z and two letters identifying their location, somewhat.

One learns the most interesting things on PoA and it always is something other than what the topic is about.

Ok.. How does a UAV get to 18,000 to start the test without flying through 0-17,999 MSL airspace:dunno::dunno::dunno:
A chase airplane, most likely. Note that Global Hawk flies around unannounced a lot, and it would not need a chase to get to the NOTAM area and start maneuvering. A Predator or Reaper still have limited sense-and-avoid capability, so they are accompanied. That is the practice down south. If you remember Morne's Big XC To California, he shared a pattern with a Predator at a fueling stop, and the chase aircraft was calling out position repots. UAVs flying from Cannon AFB go without chase by positioning ground observers every 2 miles between the base and Melrose range. These details were presented at a local WINGS seminar a month ago by safety officers of 2 nearby bases flying UAVs: Cannon and Holloman. Stay tuned for local events like that.

Last edited:
I think Lightand Sporty hit the nail on the head. I'm not the first to say that in this day and age there's no need for a secret decoder ring for NOTAMs. Technology has advanced to the point where briefings just don't have to be so cryptic.

I don't like sharing airpspace with vaguely maneuverable ballistically controlled military weaponry

I think Lightand Sporty hit the nail on the head. I'm not the first to say that in this day and age there's no need for a secret decoder ring for NOTAMs. Technology has advanced to the point where briefings just don't have to be so cryptic.

But then they wouldn't be Not Obvious To Any Man...

There's some military installation near Watertown. I've been put on airways to stay out of their restricted areas on a number of occasions, and seeing their Blackhawks just playing around burning fuel when I land at Watertown. Makes sense.

A chase airplane, most likely.
Or climb in a restricted airspace.
Note that Global Hawk flies around unannounced a lot, and it would not need a chase to get to the NOTAM area and start maneuvering. A Predator or Reaper still have limited sense-and-avoid capability, so they are accompanied. That is the practice down south. If you remember Morne's Big XC To California, he shared a pattern with a Predator at a fueling stop, and the chase aircraft was calling out position repots. UAVs flying from Cannon AFB go without chase by positioning ground observers every 2 miles between the base and Melrose range. These details were presented at a local WINGS seminar a month ago by safety officers of 2 nearby bases flying UAVs: Cannon and Holloman. Stay tuned for local events like that.
A Global Hawk doesn't have an approved sense-and-avoid capability either and would need to have a chase plane or some sort of positively-controlled airspace.

I don't like sharing airpspace with vaguely maneuverable ballistically controlled military weaponry

Then quit flying. I get your point, but it's only going to get worse. UAVs are the future. I'd wager in 40 years all airliners will be pilotless.

Then quit flying. I get your point, but it's only going to get worse. UAVs are the future. I'd wager in 40 years all airliners will be pilotless.
And in 50 years we'll be flying around in single passenger UAVs.

... ok not really. Tech like this is ALWAYS slower to adopt than we expect.

That's why I gave it 4 decades. That's a long time and I think it's pretty realistic. 2052....most airliners UAV. Ya heard it here first. I'll bet $500 or the cost of a Coke, whichever is less...

That's why I gave it 4 decades. That's a long time and I think it's pretty realistic. 2052....most airliners UAV. Ya heard it here first. I'll bet $500 or the cost of a Coke, whichever is less...

Can we adjust the $500 for inflation between now and 2052? ;)

If not, that bet is puny. The coke will probably be $10 or more by then. ;)

Back