Anyone have GNX-175 and GDC31 GPSS with a Century II (Autoflite IIIB) installation?

Velvet_Hammer

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Velvet_Hammer
So first off, I'm very aware of the GPS175+G5+G5+GFC500 dream combo; I occasionally get to fly a company Saratoga that has this setup, but with the Garmin 750, and it is awesome; I'm just not ready to drop that kind of money on my personal 1978 Archer II.

I'm looking at taking a slightly less drastic retrofit route; mine has steam gauges and an Autoflite IIIB autopilot: I'm considering installing a GNX-175, along with a DAC GDC31 roll steering converter/computer so that my Autoflite IIIB could fly holds and RNAV approaches with the relative precision of GPSS.

Anybody recently install this combination in their airplane? Any PIREPs on labor to install? Any gotchas encountered along the way?

Thanks in advance - and appreciate all the accumulated experience in this forum!

Last edited:
I have a 175, DAC31 and STEC with an HSI. The install of the DAC took about 17 hours, mostly due to running cables to the HSI. Installing the 175 took about the same. Doing both at the same time should save you time in fabricating and installing the harness.

The DAC IM is available on line.

The results are well worth the effort.

Thanks for the feedback - much appreciated. I got some time recently in a Stationair with this setup (DG instead of HSI, Garmin 530) and was really impressed with how it flew.

I have a 175, DAC31 and STEC with an HSI. The install of the DAC took about 17 hours, mostly due to running cables to the HSI. Installing the 175 took about the same. Doing both at the same time should save you time in fabricating and installing the harness.

The DAC IM is available on line.

The results are well worth the effort.

Back