Anyone have a GTN-650 with an EI FP-5L

bnt83

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Brian
Fuel Flow wired to it?

It looks like the FP-5L has both RS232 in and RS232 out. I'm more interested how the GTN behaves, if you set the fuel level on the FP-5L does the GTN automatically pick that up and adjust range rings automatically? Do the rings automatically fluctuate with changes in ground speeds and measured fuel flows?

Last edited:
I seems like all these pages could be skipped as long as the FP-5L was sending current measured fuel flow and fuel remaining in the RS232 message which it appears to do. (Using the 750 trainer for reference)

and get the rings to work correctly without entering the fuel data in twice during startup. (Yellow ring = out of fuel Green ring is set at 30 minute reserve)

I can't speak to your specific fuel flow unit, but our 650 is interfaced to a Shadin Mini-Flo L via RS-232. All the fuel parameters follow to the 650 when changes/d in the Mini-Flo. We haven't turned the range rings on, on the 650.

Jim

I can't speak to your specific fuel flow unit, but our 650 is interfaced to a Shadin Mini-Flo L via RS-232. All the fuel parameters follow to the 650 when changes/d in the Mini-Flo. We haven't turned the range rings on, on the 650.

Jim

Thanks for the reply. I'm thinking the EI fuel flow will do pretty much the same.

Looks like I'll need GTN RS232 out set to "Aviation Output 1" @ 1200, 4800, or 9600 baud and the RS232 in should be "Fuel Format 1" @ 9600 baud.

Last edited:
I did play with a GTN650 hooked to an FP-5L, the GTN automatically picks up the "Fuel On Board" data from the FP-5L during boot so it does not ask you to manually enter it on the screen. You can adjust the FP-5L at anytime and the GTN gets it within a second or two.

Did not fly so no experience with the range rings but suspect they will work exactly like the GTN Trainer depicts them.

Back