Anyone have a Garmin MX20?

JCranford

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
JCranford
My new-to-me plane has a G430W and an MX20 MFD. It is my understanding from flying it for a while that the MX20 is kinda a slave to the 430. Is that a correct interpretation? I enter my GPS course on the 430 and I see it on both the 430 and the MX20.

Reason I ask, is I am updating the 430 database after getting the plane back from Mx and noticed there is a database upgrade for the MX20 too.

Enlighten me...

i have the later version of MX20 called MX200, it is configured as slave to my 480 and its a joy to buy database upgrade AND navaid database/ terrain etc upgrade for the GMX200. I suspect yours is the same case. I also have the Jepp chartView unlocked, but I aint paying for the approach plates

By default an MX20 and GMX200 has no position source of its own. It's essentially just a Windows NT box that displays maps. It has the advantage that it interfaces to a number of various devices including most of Garmin's IFR GPSs and a variety of weather and traffic units.

I have an MX20 but its soon to go byebye. It's getting long in the tooth. It's a little low on memory these days and will occasionally crash if the NEXRAD gets too complex.

By default an MX20 and GMX200 has no position source of its own. It's essentially just a Windows NT box that displays maps. It has the advantage that it interfaces to a number of various devices including most of Garmin's IFR GPSs and a variety of weather and traffic units.

I have an MX20 but its soon to go byebye. It's getting long in the tooth. It's a little low on memory these days and will occasionally crash if the NEXRAD gets too complex.

What are u using for nexrad? I only get the txt weather with gdl 90

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right, that's what I meant. It takes the GPS signal from the 430, but the MX20 has its own underlying map that needs updating.

I only update my mx20 database like every 36 months or so. Not really an issue as airports and mountains don't move terribly often.

I only updated it more often because I had the ChartView feature.

Back