Anyone happen to know how to trace kernel panics?

Got an OS X machine that spewed on itself. We're thinking it's mobo related, but not 100% sure as to the cause.

Here's a "screenshot":

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30882035&l=60b39&id=77602296

William,

When does this happen, when you boot up? What version of the OS? (can you get that far?) Normally the new-ish ones (10.4 and later maybe?) don't show the screenful of junk like that, but I see that the kernel says it's from 5/23/08.

Normally, you can reboot and open up the Console (normally at /Applications/Utilities/Console). All of the various system logs are shown there. On the left, click the triangles to open up /Library/Logs (note no ~, there should also be one for ~/Library/Logs but that's not the one you want) and then under that open the one for PanicReporter. Click the date and time of the particular kernel panic you're interested in, and see what it says at the bottom of the backtrace.

However, in this case there's a backtrace right on your screen that says something about the Power Management driver, so... Do this:

* IF you are on a laptop, you want to do what we called "resetting the power manager" in the olden days, and is now called "resetting the System Management Controller." For pre-Intel laptops (PowerBook or iBook), go here, for Intel laptops (MacBook, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air) go here.

* Regardless of what machine you're on, reset the NVRAM. On any Mac, this is done by shutting down (NOT restarting), and then hold Command-Option-P-R. You'll hear the chime as the system reboots itself - Go ahead and hold the keys through 3-4 chimes, let go, and it'll boot up.

If that doesn't do it, general troubleshooting procedures apply. Boot off the OS install disc, and run Disk Utility. Repair the disk, and repair permissions. See if that fixes it. If not, make sure it's backed up (Time Machine is also on the install disk). Reinstall the OS, and make sure you choose "Archive and Install" under Options. That will leave your old OS files in an inactive folder ("Previous System" IIRC) in case you need anything out of it later.

EDIT: I just spoke to William, and it hangs really quick when booting off the hard drive, but boots OK off the system DVD. I'm guessing that either the OS is severely corrupted, or he has a bad hard drive. He's reinstalling now... If that succeeds, it was the OS. If it fails, probably a bad hard drive.

When I got my 17" MacBook Pro last July, I was having repeated kernal panics when scanning photos and editing video. I had matched 2Gb Crucial RAM. Apple said to try another brand. That solved the problem.
Until two weeks ago.
I was editing an audio file and it started again.
Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.
I have looked a the logs, but I don't know what I am looking at.

When I got my 17" MacBook Pro last July, I was having repeated kernal panics when scanning photos and editing video. I had matched 2Gb Crucial RAM. Apple said to try another brand. That solved the problem.

Interesting. Every person I've ever heard with an opinion on the subject says that Crucial is the best RAM to get.

FWIW, I had some issues when I first got my 17" MacBook Pro, they were solved with a firmware update. In addition, OS X 10.5 didn't get along with my laptop very well until 10.5.2 or 10.5.3. Make sure your firmware and OS are the latest versions...?

Until two weeks ago.
I was editing an audio file and it started again.
Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.
I have looked a the logs, but I don't know what I am looking at.

If you're getting kernel panics, look at the end of the kernel backtrace, that will give you a good idea of what app, driver, etc. is causing the problem (for example, if you look at William's picture, it's com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement). If it's seemingly random, you probably have a hardware issue.

I thought the Steve only made perfect computers and systems? :smilewinkgrin::rofl:

I was waiting for that. What took you guys so long? :rofl:

Nuttin's perfect. In reality, if it IS the hard drive as I suspect, then it wasn't really Apple's fault anyway. ;) And they do care about such things - They used Western Digital hard drives very briefly, and upon discovering an unacceptable failure rate, ditched 'em. (*I* could've told 'em that! Western Digital is crap.)

The nice thing is, when things do fail, you can either take them to your local Apple store or you can call Apple's support line and speak to a Real Live American! :yes:

Less than 24 hrs later, and the Mac Tech has told me that he'll be in first thing Friday morning. Not a bad turn around. Apple Care stated that all that is covered is him coming in and swapping the logic board. So if there's still an issue we'll know tomorrow morning!

Less than 24 hrs later, and the Mac Tech has told me that he'll be in first thing Friday morning. Not a bad turn around. Apple Care stated that all that is covered is him coming in and swapping the logic board. So if there's still an issue we'll know tomorrow morning!
Now you know why I buy Apple Care for every machine I get from them. They came a couple hundred miles twice to Fairmont to work on a bad fan on one desktop (which eventually wound up requiring the entire case be replaced, since the fan wasn't in an accessible location).

Why are they so hot to replace the logic board? Since booting from the hard drive results in an almost instantaneous failure, and booting from the install DVD works just fine, there's almost certainly something wrong with the HD, or the software on it. The only thing that might be fixed by an MLB replacement is if there's an issue with the I/O systems on the MLB, and without looking at the tech docs for the iMac, I'm not even sure if they're separate for the HD and the DVD on that model. It seems to me like the first step should be an OS reinstall, followed by a hard drive replacement, and only THEN should the MLB be replaced - It's the most expensive repair and has the least chance of success in this instance. :dunno:

Why are they so hot to replace the logic board? Since booting from the hard drive results in an almost instantaneous failure, and booting from the install DVD works just fine, there's almost certainly something wrong with the HD, or the software on it. The only thing that might be fixed by an MLB replacement is if there's an issue with the I/O systems on the MLB, and without looking at the tech docs for the iMac, I'm not even sure if they're separate for the HD and the DVD on that model. It seems to me like the first step should be an OS reinstall, followed by a hard drive replacement, and only THEN should the MLB be replaced - It's the most expensive repair and has the least chance of success in this instance. :dunno:

I tend to not argue when it's on Apple's dime. I'm running an archive and install now. We'll see what happens when it comes up. :D

I tend to not argue when it's on Apple's dime.

Well it sounded like they were gonna come out and try ONE THING. If that's the case, I'd want to make sure that the one thing they tried was the most likely to fix the problem.

I'm running an archive and install now. We'll see what happens when it comes up. :D

Do tell!

The archive/install appears to have worked.

The line from the staff in that office is now that they initiated an update, then when they came back the screen had gone to sleep. So Charlotte hit the space bar, the computer restarted, and then panicked.

Still dunno what caused it, but so far, everything is working, even updated to 10.5.6; the last install was on 10.5.3.

AppleCare wanted to send out RAM when I called... I had to offer to reinstall the OS. Yeesh. :D

Back