Anyone had experience with these headsets

They look like Marv Golden (Golden Eagle) look a like headsets. They're actually made by Lightspeed as well. Anyway I have 2 of the ANR versions. I also have a Bose ANR and a Telex ANR. I can tell you my cheap ($280) Golden Eagles are almost as good as the Telex. the Bose isn't really that much better either. At least not $600 more better.

If you do buy I'd highly recommend upgrading to ANR. The extra money is worth it. They're light and fairly comfortable but don't have fancy gel seals. ANR is fairly good and the batteries last a few months. I will say my first one was broken. I sent it back to Lightspeed and they fixed it for free. I'd recommend them.

I had lightspeed, and they did repair the headset when it fell apart in flight; they repaired it quickly and the repair was well done. The problem is that it's uncommon to find someone who hasn't had that experience with Lightspeed.

I prefer Bose; I've used them under some very demanding conditions, and the've held up extremely well. I've used them in loud radial powered aircraft, small airplanes, and turbojet and turboprop aircraft. I've used them in hot dusty desert conditions and almost everywhere else; they've held up as well as any headset I've used, and the comfort over long periods of time, especially extended flights (8+ hours) is noticeably better than other headsets.

Presently I use the Bose QC-15 with a UflyMic, and it works exceptionally well, plus folds quite compactly in a flight bag, and doubles for quiet and music on long commercial rides.

The new Lightspeed line isnt as bas as the older ANR lineup with regard to longevity. The important thing is that they back their products up 100% and way passed the warranty period. I had more problems with my Bose X than I ever have with my Zulu. In fact I havent had to send it in for anything other than stuff I broke (I have rolled over the cord twice with the seat track). The X I had to send back for issues so many times they sent me a free one.

I too have a QC15 and UFlyMike and will start using that in the Lear, but it cannot handle the Beech 99 not by a longshot.

Anyway if this is in fact a Lightspeed headset and they warranty it, you can be pretty confident. I used my Zulus daily since they were released, from Pitts to Pilatus to Beech 99 to Extra 300 and they have lasted. In fact I just sold them they are working perfectly. Get the ANR version of what you are looking at here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aviation-Pi...rs_Aviation_Parts_Gear&vxp=mtr#ht_1061wt_1220

I too have a QC15 and UFlyMike and will start using that in the Lear, but it cannot handle the Beech 99 not by a longshot.

I've used them in Lears and King Air's and they work great. I used them the other day in a Cessna 414; same thing.

ANR doesn't increase hearing protection. It increases understandability on the radio; it improves communications and gives the perception that it's quieter (within a narrow band). The Uflymic setup has worked wonders when dealing with hard-to-understand controllers, such as in Pakistan and Africa, where sometimes it can be really hard to catch what's being said. Same for the Northeast corridor.

I have flown a King Air 200 and was much quieter than the 99 so I could imagine it would be great in there. The lack of clamping pressure, which I like and is a good thing, can also not create the best seal for proper ANR performance. The 99 is by far the loudest airplane I have ever flown, I think its even louder than flying the Waco. The QC15 does fantastic in the Metroliner, but the 99 is too much for it. In cruise up high its fine, noise is a little less suppressed than the Zulu or A20 but when that plane is making at or near max shp holy cow....

I bought 2 pair of the Victor/Lightspeed ANR headsets from Tina (the seller here) about 4 years ago similar to the $280 ones she's selling now. The ANR works great, they have held up well and were the best I could afford at the time. I strongly recommend the memory foam upgrade. Tina runs a stand-up business and will treat you right.

Last edited:
from the link... first question:

Q: Do you have this with the ANR available any time soon? I'm interested in the active noise reduction and the upgraded memory foam ear seals (I sweat a LOT). Thanks - let me know!!!

A: YES....They actually are shipping tomorrow to us. We will have them next week. Shall we put one on a back order for you? Thanks! Tinas Pilot Shop Open 9-6 Mon-Sat in Texas

These are not ANR. They are Passive.

If you want the least expensive ANR headset from lightspeed, this is the best I have found.

http://www.pilotshop.com/anr-headset-one-dual-plugs-cellmusic-p-44.html?cPath=21_36

They are store branded, but made by Lightspeed. I ordered these, and they just came today. The build quality is better then I expected for the price. They clamp fairly hard on my head, but that could just be because they are new.

The ANR seems to work very well. I won't know how well they work in the air until Monday.

They clamp hard because they are a converted passive headset. If you can deal with a clamping headset they should be fantastic. Clamping and me getting headaches were the reason to go ANR and get away from the clamping.

Back