Anyone go to Oxford Aviation Academy in Phoenix?

rswitz

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
rswitz
I just got my PPL and now want to go to a part 141 school to complete the rest of my ratings. Goal is to go to the regionals.

I've been looking at Aerosim Flight Academy in Sanford, FL. It has a good program and reputation but is very expensive.

I recently came across a place called CAE Oxford Aviation Academy in Phoenix, AZ. There are many locations across the world and it seems to be highly focused on training international students. But they do have a US Professional Pilot Program at their Phoenix location which seems to be fairly new. The program is a bit cheaper than Aerosim, so I think its worth looking into. Also the area around the Phoenix school seems far more appealing to live in than Sanford, which is full of low-income housing and a high-crime area.

So does anyone have any experience at the Phoenix location? I know they transitioned from their old Goodyear location to Mesa I think.

I'm looking to be a student, so a current or former student's input is preferred, but I would appreciate a CFI's advice too.

Also, any input regarding being an American student there would be greatly appreciated too. Thanks!

Sorry for all the questions, I just can't seem to find any info on this place.

What is drawing you to an academy such as Oxford? I'm pretty familiar with a lot of the schools in the Phoenix area, and unless you're an international student or you're salivating at the airlines I wouldn't touch them... At least ATP (who ASU uses for their program) seems to have more American students than others. IMO you're going to spend a lot more money than necessary for the same training.. There are lots of other 141 schools in the Phoenix area.

Well, frankly, I am salivating at the airlines. That's my dream. Does Oxford provide any real benefit in that sense?

And can you please recommend the best 141 school in the Phoenix area?

Btw I live in the CT/NYC area and am considering either Florida or AZ for a school.

Thanks!

Forget going to a 141 mill BTDT. Assuming you are young and can live at home rent free, get a line job or keep your day job and fly around NY building time, ratings, and connections. Your chances of falling into a good time building gig are a lot higher being a local hometown pilot then as a sunny state 141 hamburger. If you are going to move for flight training go to one of those little airports in the midwest that rent 2 seaters for 60 bucks an hour. Save money, be on an airport with real people doing real things.
Well, frankly, I am salivating at the airlines. That's my dream. Does Oxford provide any real benefit in that sense?

And can you please recommend the best 141 school in the Phoenix area?

Btw I live in the CT/NYC area and am considering either Florida or AZ for a school.

Thanks!

Forget going to a 141 mill BTDT. Assuming you are young and can live at home rent free, get a line job or keep your day job and fly around NY building time, ratings, and connections. Your chances of falling into a good time building gig are a lot higher being a local hometown pilot then as a sunny state 141 hamburger. If you are going to move for flight training go to one of those little airports in the midwest that rent 2 seaters for 60 bucks an hour. Save money, be on an airport with real people doing real things.

I gotta agree with Greg here.. it doesn't matter where you build the time, do it where it's cheapest. Then get your CFI/CFII/MEI and get a job instructing. The big academies hire instructors that they didn't teach, and they're a gateway to lots of hours, at least in Phoenix. I did all my training at a 141 school here, though only did the private 141, and it was a great experience. Probably not what you're looking for though as they are NOT a pilot mill and truly want your skills to be the best possible without the fancy stuff.

While I appreciate all the advice given here, I did the whole local FBO part 61 training for my PPL. Made some great connections and it was a great experience.

But I have chosen to pursue 141 training for my own reasons. What I am asking here is if anyone has any specific information on Oxford Aviation Academy in Phoenix.

I've posted threads on various forums asking about 141 schools and "stay away from 141 schools" seems to be the typical response.

I respect your experience, so please respect my decision.

Thanks.

Flightsafety academy still exist? Go there.

Been doing this a while, havent heard of em'

If you're dead set on 141, I'd look into IFTA, they deal with Asians mainly, however their fleet is top notch (Barons and Bonanzas) their CFI's are WELL PAID and happy, thus you'll seldom see a opening for a CFI, good instructor rentention is huge for a good education.

Their do a good amount of multi time for their students and have a high focus on IFR ops.

If you really want to go into the regionals that's your place.

IFTA
http://www.ifta.aero/training_faa.html

Also here's your first reading assignment young grasshopper :wink2:

Airline Confidential
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0750943807/ref=redir_mdp_mobile

Back