Anyone Flying a Velocity V-Twin?

But how do you actually get the gas from the gas station to the airplane?

They're called gas cans.
The v-twin holds 100 gallons, I assume the turboprop will carry as much, if not more. That's 20 back and forth trips with a standard 5 gallon jug.. or do you usually fly around with 50 gallon drums?

Were I flying internationally I'd want an airplane with an o360 or an 0320 with low compression cylinders. They'll burn car gas all day long, and there's lots of that everywhere you go.

Depends on where you go, and right now no composite structures can actually handle ethanol. Ethanol breaks down the composites, so in many parts of the world you would need to have a metal lined tanks that never leak or you may find a wing falling off.
The closest solution I have found is what some motor bike racers do; they put in a protective coat inside the tank, and plan to replace the tank on a regular basis because it always ends up leaking or spilling gas on it.

Tim

Depends on where you go, and right now no composite structures can actually handle ethanol. Ethanol breaks down the composites, so in many parts of the world you would need to have a metal lined tanks that never leak or you may find a wing falling off.
The closest solution I have found is what some motor bike racers do; they put in a protective coat inside the tank, and plan to replace the tank on a regular basis because it always ends up leaking or spilling gas on it.

Tim
Most builders coat their tanks with Jeffco to prevent non-100LL fuels and additives from damaging the composite structure. Some, who feel 100LL will always be available opt no to.

Most builders coat their tanks with Jeffco to prevent non-100LL fuels and additives from damaging the composite structure. Some, who feel 100LL will always be available opt no to.

Jeffco and Rhino are ethanol resistant. NOT ethanol proof. Here is one same of a report on it: https://www.97supraturbo.com/Fuel Pump upgrade/Reactivity of Ethanol_Final.pdf
As you dig into you find the weight of the tank increases after 4 hours of holding E15. That is the resin absorbing the ethanol.

Tim

Good to know. Are there any aircraft engines (or engines on aircraft) that can run fuel with ethanol?

Good to know. Are there any aircraft engines (or engines on aircraft) that can run fuel with ethanol?

In certified, there are a few out of Brazil. I forget the company, but it is a metal plane. None others that I am aware of. In fact the mogas Peterson STC specifically bans ethanol.
Otherwise, most engines that burn mogas should not have an issue with ethanol. The problems with ethanol are usually the tanks, fuel lines, fuel filters and rubber fittings.
Basically, everything but the engine is a potential compatibility problem that needs to be investigated.

At this point, I think an Electric Airplane is more likely than an ethanol fuel one if you go composite based. There are less chemical issues with biodiesel, however there are more engine issues with it...

Tim

Back