Anyone Flying a Velocity V-Twin?

Discussion in 'Home Builders and Sport Pilots' started by DJTorrente, Oct 10, 2014.

1. tspear

tspear Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Timothy
    Getonit likes this.
  2. donjohnston

donjohnston Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Don
    Sorry. I meant full size winglets. Those little ones are up to the builder. They are aesthetic only and serve no function.

3. Velocity173

Velocity173 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Velocity173
    Scott Swing told me today they got 6 more kts in cruise with the new winglets.

Sounds like they're nearing completion of the turbine V-Twin.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  4. wayne

wayne Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    wayne
    Turbine? :eek: And I thought the piston version was pricey; yeah, yeah a lot cheaper than a new Baron.

Not sure what that helps, as the Vne is 200 KIAS and don't turbines burn a lot of fuel down low? I wonder if the engines be mounted like the Honda Jet to reduce FOD issues?

I've wondered what the V-Twin performance would be with two turbo normalized 200-215 hp engines. :cool:

From the photos it doesn't look like there's a lot of luggage space.

5. tspear

tspear Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Timothy
    They are using two TJP-100. Last I checked, list was around 85K Euros.
    Going on memory.
    Around 10K MSL they burn around 20GPH each and produce about 240HP.
    In theory, they will get a cruise speed around 230KTAS
    With hollow wings, they are looking to stuff around 140 Gallons of Jet-A.

So a descent range, and rather quick...

Tim

6. steingar

steingar Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    steingar
    I never could figure out why Velocity went with a twin, given what's happened to the GA twin market. Then again, the things are pretty cool.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  7. tspear

tspear Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Timothy
    Because people like me want one.
    If you fast build, the budget price is close to an XL.

Tim

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

8. dell30rb

dell30rb Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ren
    Single with BRS is the new twin IMO

9. tspear

tspear Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Timothy
    Yup. Ideally I want a twin or a chute. I life to fly at night, I fly a fair amount of IFR at 10K....
    From a statistics standpoint, likely not a realistic factor. From an emotional standpoint, having that last ditch option is worth a lot.

Tim

10. donjohnston

donjohnston Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Don
    Based on what I've seen at the factory, they are selling at least as many twins as singles. So I'd say it was a pretty good decision.

11. Domteufel

Domteufel Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    Domteufel
    Okay gang -- here's the update. I apologize that I still need to see if we can post a builder's log BUT....
    1) 12 hours flight time from Sebastian to Oxnard, CA -- 161 knots average ground speed -- and I don't have an exact handle on fuel burn because we were fighting oil temperature problems with the O360s -- which have appear to have been resolved by the way. That's 1 1/2 days door to door -- including fighting a dryline across Texas -- really rough. The plane handles extremely well in turbulence.
    2) The airplane has been flying mostly around KOXR and KCMA as we sort problems with oil temps and gear out. BUT Mugu approach is still -- more or less -- having kittens when they ask for "best forward speed" on an approach. We deliver and they haven't figured out that we aren't an RV or something else. There is one female controller that keeps asking me for the N-number when I respond "experimental & N number". Tonight, however, marks the start of how we will fly approaches -- 2300 rpm and 15" equals S&L at 3500' for 120 knots clean -- 2" reduction, no trim change, 500' / min descent. Climb is 2300 and 21" for 500 fpm. Plan on the V-twin being the bottom end of Cat C.

Bottom line -- the performance appears to be equivalent (slightly or much better -- still TBD) to a Bonanza in terms of speed, range, and fuel burn. 65% power is resulting easily 170 knots true through 10,000. The airplane is quick and responsive to pitch and power changes, as I suspect the single is. You have lots of rudder authority but you need to understand how to fly the airplane in case of loss of an engine -- you may not want to apply full power as you learned in the Duchess or Seminole.

More later and open to questions as we continue to understand the plane.

12. OkieAviator

OkieAviator Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    OkieAviator
    Why do you have to get permission to post the build log? I would settle for a series of pictures, there's not a lot out there on these planes.

I'm curious on landing... you crossing the fence about 80 and just letting it settle?

13. Domteufel

Domteufel Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    Domteufel
    We'll get pictures up -- as far as speeds in the pattern and on final - Vr is about 80 KTIAS, climb at 100 to 105 through 500', then climb about 130 at 25 square. Downwind is ~ 115 to 120 (gear speed is 120), landing 100 to 110 -- less than that the airplane is 'mushy'. Instrument approach will be around 120 (2300 and 15"), with a two inch reduction in MAP to 500'.