Anyone flying a G1000 north of 65?

Marc CYBW

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Marc CYBW
My DA40 G1000 guide says "Because of anomalies in the earth’s magnetic field, operating the G1000 within the following areas could result in loss of reliable attitude and heading indications. North of 70° North latitude and south of 70° South latitude. An area north of 65° North latitude between longitude 75º West and 120º West."

Anyone had problems flying north of 65 with the G1000?

Thanks
Marc

I certainly found that limitation interesting, but I've never had a chance to get anywhere close.

Lots of systems have the extreme north and south limitations on them. Where are you going that you may need to be at that high of a LAT? Certain areas of northern Canada require you to come out of mag mode and into true mode to reduce the anomalies.

If you need it then check with the manufacturer to see if they offer a polar kit that reduces the issue. It just costs a lot more money than it is worth.

I have flown the G1000 above 65 north over Iceland with no problem. What you care most is following the course line rather than an specific heading. Typically when flying in the vicinity of the magnetic poles is better to switch to True North track instead of magnetic track. The large magnetic variations makes your compass unreliable. In the days prior to GPS you would get your true north from the inertia navigation sensor or a self orienting gyro like those on big ships and submarines. Using ADF navigation was common for those planes without INS.

José

Attachments

• Iceland Map.JPG
    Iceland Map.JPG
    553 KB · Views: 24
Back