Anyone flown a Tri Q200?

mitchellfstafford

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Mitchell
I'm looking at buying a Tri-Q200 and I had a question if anyone has flown one. My main concern is that I'm 6'3". I'm wondering if I'll fit? Anyone that tall gotten in one?

I was gonna say "A what?" But then I googled...

I don't know whether you'll fit in it, but it sure seems to me that the tricycle-gear versions really mess up what was a cool design. :(

I was gonna say "A what?" But then I googled...

I don't know whether you'll fit in it, but it sure seems to me that the tricycle-gear versions really mess up what was a cool design. :(
Other than that little bit about stopping crashes. :)

IIRC, at some point in the late '90s, one aviation magazine said that about 1/3rd of the Q-series aircraft had suffered landing accidents, usually partially blamed on weird effects from the wingtip-mounted landing gear.

Other than that little bit about stopping crashes. :)

IIRC, at some point in the late '90s, one aviation magazine said that about 1/3rd of the Q-series aircraft had suffered landing accidents, usually partially blamed on weird effects from the wingtip-mounted landing gear.

Still... The taildragger Q is a really neat-looking airplane:

Rutan_quickie_q2.jpg

And the tri-gear version just looks terrible in comparison:

177387274_c450e9bd50.jpg

I sat in one I was considering buying and was comfortable, but I'm only 6'0 with a 33" inseam. The main problem with the landing accidents was the gear at the wingtips. The "hoop gear" that you see on the mains is also used at a more forward station in the conventional/TD design to good result as well. I'm not a fan of using auto engines, especially VWs and half VWs in airplanes unless there is some form of PSRU that takes the gyroscopic and thrust loads off the crankshaft that was designed only to transfer rotational force.

The one I'm looking at has a Continental 0-200 in it with only 200 hours on it. It's the tricycle gear configuration. The owner is going to send me the measurements of the cabin length and then I'll probably have him take a picture of someone at least 6'2" sitting in it before I make the trip to go see it. Ultimately I'll have to sit in it to find out. Each one is made to the liking of the individual builder. I did find out that the guy that built it was 6'1" though. We'll see.

Last edited:
Back