anyone familiar with SAN?

deafsound

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
i arrrghhmmmmpppth
I'm just curious.....I have flown the airlines in there on a number of occasions, and they always land 27.
When do they use 9, and how often, and how bad does the wx have to be for them to warrant the use of that runway?
Thanks

I've landed there 3 times in a GA plane. The prevailing winds are out of the west. If SAN is like other SoCal aprts, when they're landing to the east you can expect a major wind event whether it be the infamous Santa Ana winds (H pressure over NV and CAVU on the coast) or inclement wx associated with L pressure fronts. It can get turbulent when the wind is out of the east because of the mountainous terrain to the east (upwind).

Oh, KSAN! I thought you meant Storage Area Network from the title! :no:

Oh, KSAN! I thought you meant Storage Area Network from the title! :no:
Yea, same here. Been having problems with our IBM DS4800 (1815-84H) and I was working on it just before coming here, lol!

I landed on Rwy 9 once out of the many times I went there in the early '90s. It was during a mild Santa Ana (easterly) wind condition. The other times they would use 9 would be to take advantage of the full ILS when there is little or no wind and ceiling/visibility are below minima for the LOC27 approach.

When do they use 9, and how often, and how bad does the wx have to be for them to warrant the use of that runway?
One evening when we landed at SAN they were using the LOC 27 but about half the airplanes were missing. By the time we took off again about 1/2 hour later they had turned it around to the ILS 9 which has lower minimums. I don't remember what the winds were. One of the other problems with using 9 is that the departure gradient is pretty steep.

SAN DIEGO INTL
TAKE-OFF MINIMUMS: Rwy 9, CAT A,B 400-1 or 300-
1 with a min. climb of 610' per NM to 600. CAT C,D
300-1 with a min. climb of 610' per NM to 2300.

San Diego is interesting in that it is one of the only major big city airports with a lot of airline traffic which doesn't have a precision approach to their runway which they use all the time. I think the terrain must be a factor (as well as the parking garage).

I think the terrain must be a factor (as well as the parking garage).

So 'tis! A friend of mine who flies with NW said to be careful for false LOC readings a little farther out also; to verify you actually have the LOC by crosschecking.

I've gone in there a few times, always landed west. Inland a bit at Gillespie, I've always landed west and been going there six or more years.

At SAN, when landing west, I kept my speed up to 160 until 1/2 mile final, then, raised the nose, dropped the gear and flaps in my A-36 and still made Jim's Air on the right (the last taxiway on that side is about 1/2 way down the runway.). If you miss that taxiway, you get to go over on the commercial side of the AP and taxi amongst all the commercial jets :yes:

Jim's treated me well, but was pretty pricey and very busy.

Best,

Dave

Love that parking garage. On final - Hey! Look up! There's my car on the top floor! :yes:
(See photos below)

At SAN, when landing west, I kept my speed up to 160 until 1/2 mile final, then, raised the nose, dropped the gear and flaps in my A-36 and still made Jim's Air on the right
Couldn't quite do that with my K35 -- Vle is only 120 and it's tough to slow down after a steep approach without opening the door and throwing out the anchor.
Jim's treated me well, but was pretty pricey and very busy.
Likewise, when I was there last summer.

Attachments

• Mvc-489s.jpg
    Mvc-489s.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 19
  • Mvc-469s.jpg
    Mvc-469s.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 20
Back