anyone at BNA or BED?

TMetzinger

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Tim
This came across my mooney list today, attributed to AVSIG:

Unannounced, the TSA set up a table at the entrances of the FBOs at the Bedford, MA and Nashville, TN airports early in the morning to conduct security interrogations of the FBO, aircraft, pilots and passengers. As FBO employees reported for work, TSA agents checked credentials, frisked employees, and searched the FBO premises and aircraft. Similarly, pilots and departing passengers were also frisked and pilot's were required to open their aircraft to security inspections. We have also learned that the TSA will not only be checking transient general aviation FBOs, but that they also intend to conduct these security interrogations at private hangars and flight operations

I am going to BNA this weekend and am going to ask about this...I have seen this blurb earlier but have not seen any independant confimation...Has anyone else?

I wonder if this is part of their move to make any air carrier airport completely "secure" rather than having a partial SIDA.

>From the Centennial Airport Business Association:

It has come to our attention that as of December 20, 2008 the Transportation Security Association (TSA) has started to conduct security interrogations at general aviation airports using a newly implemented program called “Playbook”. Unannounced, the TSA set up a table at the entrances of FBOs at the Bedford, MA and Nashville, TN airports early in the morning to conduct security interrogations of the FBO, aircraft, pilots and passengers. As FBO employees reported for work, TSA agents checked credentials, frisked employees, and searched the FBO premises and aircraft. Similarly, pilots and departing passengers were also frisked and pilot’s required to open their aircraft to security inspections. We have also learned that the TSA will not only be checking transient general aviation at FBOs, but that they also intend to conduct these security interrogations at private hangars and flight operations.

The National Business Aviation Association (NBAA) was told by TSA attorneys that the “Playbook” security interrogations were beyond the authority of the TSA Regional Offices. When the NBAA asked for a copy of the “Playbook,” TSA officials declined. NBAA has learned that further TSA interrogations under the “Playbook” program are scheduled to be conducted at Dallas, TX Part 139 airports soon. It should be noted that even though at this point only Part
139 airports have been targeted, operators should expect the TSA to include reliever airports like Centennial and Rocky Mountain Metro under the “Playbook” program.

These new TSA tactics seem to be stemming from the Large Aircraft Security Program (LASP). As we have reported in previous email alerts, the TSA has a Notice of Proposed Rule Making(NPRM) out for comment on the LASP.
Understanding this and the new information at hand, it is even more clearly imperative that we all take the time to write our comments and post them to the NPRM. We are waiting to see if the NBAA will open a link for comment on the new “Playbook” program. In the meantime, please use the link below for comment on the NPRM. We have also provided a link to the NBAA’s dedicated LASP NPRM page. Additionally CABA, the Centennial Airport Pilot’s Lunch, and the NBAA are working to put together a town meeting on February 10th, 2009 to discuss the LASP NPRM and the additional new issues at hand. Please stay tuned to CABA’s website or become a member for the latest information on that meeting.

It seems the TSA is actively trying to get its arms around and strangle general aviation. It’s up to us as operators, businesses, and aviation professionals to make sure that our industry remains viable, safe, and secure from these looming threats.

Last edited:
WHAT?
:mad3::mad3::mad3::mad3::mad3:

ARE YOU PLUCKIN KIDDING ME??????

THIS IS OUT OF CONTROL!!!!!!!!

HOW ON EARTH IS THIS ACCEPTABLE?????

WHERE IS WHOEVER THE NEW AOPA GUY IS? HE SHOULD BE ALL OVER THIS!!

WHY DO I FEEL SO HELPLESS IN THE FACE OF THIS OUTRAGEOUS INTRUSION OF A POLICE-STATE MENTALITY INTO OUR DAILY LIVES????

Don't get too crazy - I can't find ANYTHING about this on NBAA, so perhaps it is yet a hoax. Until we get some in person confirmation from someone we know, I'm not too upset.

Saw something posted on EAA too.

Couldn't dig up anything on the net, certainly not on the TSA site. I sent an email to Craig Fuller anyway.

Hmmm.

/me walks over to his flight bag and deposits his video camera, just in case.

It doesn't surprise me about BED. BED is the focus of the collective airport security neurosis of Massport post 9/11. Armed state cops, armed ramp patrols, TSA gate for 10 person flights, big bad "GA PILOTS GO NEAR THE 121 PLANE AND ARE SHOT" types of signs, prop locks, the whole shooting match. If BED wasn't so damn close to everything in Boston it would have died its death a long time ago.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Howya doin'?

Is Jimbo in?

A pilot? Me? Do I LOOK like a pilot?

I am going to BNA this weekend and am going to ask about this...I have seen this blurb earlier but have not seen any independant confimation...Has anyone else?

Hey Kelvin, if you want to have supper or go out for a drink, send me a PM.

Back