Anybody sit at the airport?

Where are you trying to go? How bad is it?

Flying between Kansas and Florida:

It seems like there is a daily thunderstorm line that is 500 miles long starting near Texas and extending through Tennessee.. It moves from MW to East.

I usually plan to fly up to the line and park for the night. Once in a while I can find a small break to fly through or it occasionally dissipates near sunset and can do a little night flying to get through but I usually just spend the night somewhere this side of it, and finish my trip the next day.

Coming back the same thing you can fly up to it, and wait for a few hrs for it to pass you and then finish your flight or spend the night.

I love hanging out at the airport. Over a year ago I got a part time job at AUG working line. I still have fun everytime I go in and would probably do the job for free (I hope my boss doesn't see this). A few weeks ago, I got off work at noon and hung out with my relief/friend until 6:00 :hairraise:...man...I really need to get back on the dating scene. :confused:

:hairraise:...man...I really need to get back on the dating scene. :confused:

That "dating scene" is highly overrated.......

You spend a lot of money on a date and the returns are a crap shoot....:wink2:

You spend a lot of money on aviation and the returns are log book entries, a lifetime of memories and NO pregnancies..:nonod:;)

Last edited:
I spend more time at the airport then I care to admit. I too took a job at the fob working line just to be near the action. Here at KMHK we have a pretty good variety of aircraft that come and go.

So i guess the consensus is yes everybody spends a ton of time at the airport. I think i need to spend more time to catch up to everybody.

I just drove out to the airport. Dropped off some magazines and did a slow drive around just to check out what was going on.

I was looking out my window this early afternoon and was the nearest thing to a groundloop you could see without it being a G/L. C150.

Ah, ambience....

I'm sure I can guess the answer but anybody just go sit at the airport the days you can't fly and just watch and watch?
Don't need to. I discovered that my new house is right at the x-wind to downwind turn for the runway 28 traffic pattern at NGU. I've got E-2C's and an occasional C-2 regularly flying over my house. I love it, although it drives my wife nuts when they are doing night touch and goes.

Yup. Love to watch. Fence line with the local photography nuts, or at the hangar row end, restaurant, doesn't matter.

The new indoor shooting range is also directly underneath the approach path for KAPA 17L which makes for some great low-altitude jet belly gawking by folks in the parking lot. I've watched numerous people startled by it.

(I just look up and wonder if it's Mari. Ha.)

It'd be fun to be in that parking lot sometime when one of the transient F/A-18 flights arrives. Bet it's a wonderful sound and view. ;)

More often than I admit to my wife ;)

Likewise!! Since the Airport is on the way home there are many days that I get out of the office a little early but still get home at the same time. How does that happen?

My grandpa (retired) and a few of his buddies also retired, are out at the local private airport everyday rain or shine from nine to noon at the minimum. I get out there whenever i can

You spend a lot of money on aviation and the returns are log book entries, a lifetime of memories and NO pregnancies..:nonod:;)

Can't argue with those points. :no:

I used to have my birthday party at my hangar every year. Weekend closest to Oct 30. So we made it a costume party. One year a friend and his wife showed up as uni-bombers with flares tied to their costume. Luckily everyone had a sense of humor.

I keep a hot dog cooker, cappuccino machine and re-frig with bottle water/soda and beer at the hangar so when we got nothing to do we will pull the plane out, put the tables and chairs up and sit and watch the people fly in and out of the field.

After 7 years, I finally got a hangar right up front on the Runway so we have a good view for air shows and what have you.

I do not know anything in the dating scene that is run by the hour except the ones that are not a crap shoot.:D

Unless you climb to FL 52.8 and join the club! :thumbsup:

DTN was only 15 minutes away from home at almost legal velocity from home and (was) 2 minutes away from work so I was there quite a bit.
Now that I'm un-employed :goofy: and going to A&P skool I have an excuse to be there even more (everyday)!.
I built a pilot cave with a refrigerator,microwave a TV and lots of tools not to mention tables, chairs, workbench and an airplane...:yes: .
DTN has a really nice FBO (Millin Air) with pretty girls and ugly linemen and a cool restaurant (Stones Throw Cafe) and a whole lot of friendly folk to talk to. We migrate from hanger to hanger and BS session to BS session...

It's not a Utopia but damn it's nice!

Chris

Single Malt Scotch and Cigars, I hang at the airport everyday. If your in the area of 47N, look me up.

MikesHanger014_zps07ff8f5e.jpg

Mike in NJ

Now Nate..... You should add the disclaimer " This extension cord cannot be used unless you have Orange Shag carpet and a Avacado Green Refrigerator...... You get bonus points if the house has bean bag chairs and a lava lamp...;):rofl::lol:

That cord is from a lamp which hung from the ceiling in the office in the hanger. When the prior tennant got kicked out of the hanger he cut all the electric cords on everything in the hanger. That cord is there to remind me how big of a "DICK" he was for doing that. He sold his airplane and does not fly anymore. I hope he never starts again, because Karma works in strange ways.

Mike

All the time, as in several times a week. Home and office are both just minutes from LZU.

On the weekdays I go out there and eat lunch at least once, sometimes as much as three or four times per week.

On the weekends early in the morning before everyone else in the house is ready to start the day I may go out and watch for a bit.

It's not uncommon to just do a quick drive-by on the way to the bank or the store.

I've also gone down to PDK a few times which isn't far, but it's hard to get over to that side when LZU is so close.

So as I said...all the time!

I'm sure I can guess the answer but anybody just go sit at the airport the days you can't fly and just watch and watch?

Yep, best way to get invited to take a flight with better pilots in equipment you can't afford.

That cord is from a lamp which hung from the ceiling in the office in the hanger. When the prior tennant got kicked out of the hanger he cut all the electric cords on everything in the hanger. That cord is there to remind me how big of a "DICK" he was for doing that. He sold his airplane and does not fly anymore. I hope he never starts again, because Karma works in strange ways.

Wow. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone with a hangar eviction gone bad story.

Single Malt Scotch and Cigars, I hang at the airport everyday. If your in the area of 47N, look me up.

MikesHanger014_zps07ff8f5e.jpg

Mike in NJ

Oban is one of my favorites...you have good taste sir.

Thank You for the compliment on the Oban, my favorite also. Only the best is served at the Platinum Club.

This is the office area in my hanger, with the stairs leading to the Platinum Club. What ahppens in the club stays in the club.

MikesHanger020.jpg

MikesHanger019.jpg

My offer stands, stop in if in the area.
Mike in NJ

I wanted to fly in that a20 couldn't get a chance to talk with the pilot and he was alone too

Saw a guy flying below a diamond 20 it looked like such a nice plane very cool wanted to take a ride with him.
y8eresaq.jpg

They are just a low wing 172 from what I hear. but on sunny days they get reeeally hot in the cockpit. School I went to used to have one but no one wanted to fly it.

Yep, best way to get invited to take a flight with better pilots in equipment you can't afford.

Thats why I take my headset with me. Haven't been invited yet but I'll be ready just in case. Haven't been in the air since last Mar.

Back