Anybody fix TVs anymore?

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
The picture on my barely used old 20" stereo Sony Trinitron is fuzzy. I need it to last another couple of years. I think it's been bounced around too much so that it needs a focus/alignment.

I know if I go to "Sony factory" service I'll get the no choice $175 fixed rate deal. Been there. Ain't doing that again.

What are the odds that I can find an old fashioned TV repair guy to do a tune up for $75?

Should I try to do it myself? Can I find a alignment chart and instructions somewhere online?

Last edited:
It's a lost art....I hired a guy that closed his own shop. He is an expert but his customers started throwing out the old instead of fixing. He is an asset in my company.

It's a lost art....I hired a guy that closed his own shop. He is an expert but his customers started throwing out the old instead of fixing. He is an asset in my company.

Yeah. The fixed rate is conveniently about 20% less than what it costs to buy a new model.

I looked at what a small LCD costs. They're still too much to be considered disposable. It's also fairly hard to find any reasonably-priced soon-to-be-obsolete CRTs.

I found some TV repair shops using Google local. I'll make some phone calls.

Sure, just call Best Buy :rofl:

There are a few in each city. Not many, but a few. Probably not worth it, though.

Mike, if it's like the old trinitron monitors I used to mess with on occasion, all you need is a screwdriver. Open case, find focus adjuster, adjust with screwdriver. You do this while it's on (duh, gotta see it!), so make sure you keep that screwdriver from getting too close to the flyback transformer! :hairraise:

I used this guy a while back to fix my old 27" Mitsubishi
Tv-Vcr Clinic

5612 S Il Rte 31
Crystal Lake, IL 60014-4559
(815) 455-9554

Back