Anybody ever used "Geek Squad"?

Frank Browne

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
FB
Has anyone used these people at Best Buy? I was asking them a question regarding a PC that I have at home that will not boot up windows. They told me that it won't work if I buy a new copy of Windows and try to reload it. The girl told me $199 to remove the hard drive and all, but they should be able to fix it and keep all my music files. I'm just not sure if I trust these folks. I know I don't trust myself to do it.

Has anyone used these people at Best Buy? I was asking them a question regarding a PC that I have at home that will not boot up windows. They told me that it won't work if I buy a new copy of Windows and try to reload it. The girl told me $199 to remove the hard drive and all, but they should be able to fix it and keep all my music files. I'm just not sure if I trust these folks. I know I don't trust myself to do it.

Why would you need to buy a new copy of Windows? Do you have the original disks that came with the computer? And more importantly, do you have a backup of the hard drive?

The solution may be as simple as restoring the boot sector, which, IIRC is part of the "repair" function on most Windows recovery disks. Repair, not "restore" or "Recover" or "return to factory configuration", those three will wipe your drive clean including the files you want to keep.

Why would you need to buy a new copy of Windows? Do you have the original disks that came with the computer? And more importantly, do you have a backup of the hard drive?

The solution may be as simple as restoring the boot sector, which, IIRC is part of the "repair" function on most Windows recovery disks. Repair, not "restore" or "Recover" or "return to factory configuration", those three will wipe your drive clean including the files you want to keep.

Unfortunately the discs that came with the machine have long since been lost. How do you "back up" the hard drive?

Frank, what make and model is it? How long have you had it?

I just set up an old Emachine T4200 I bought back in August 2002. The old HD had fried the OS so I bought a new HD at Microcenter and installed it. It works great. I can't see giving up a nearly five-year-old computer just because it's old. It's a P-IV, 2GB. It's not doing accounting or heavy graphics. So, it makes for a great box for playing online with dual monitors and 500gb storage between two drives.

Never used them, but the reputation from the folks I talked to is that they are now a revenue generator for whatever chain bought them (Circuit City or Best Buy). IOW, they will try to sell you lots of things you don't need. You will probably be better off going to an independent shop for any work that needs to be done.

Think of it as the difference between a car dealership and an independent shop.

RUN AWAY!!! RUN AWAY!!!

You can buy a legal OEM copy of Windows Home for $80 from NewEgg.

OK thanks ya'll. I suspected as much. I was in the store browsing and just thought to ask them about it.

Frank, what make and model is it? How long have you had it?

It's a Compaq Presario and I've had it for about 4 years. I was having a very difficult time with spyware and junk. This guy at Comcast told me to download adaware which I did. I had been using MS Anti Spyware and Spybot but they couldn't fix this one bad malware that had infected the machine. After running adaware (which didn't fix it either) I rebooted and it came up fine. The first application I launched crashed the computer, and from that point on all reboots didn't recognize Windows.

It's a Compaq Presario and I've had it for about 4 years. I was having a very difficult time with spyware and junk. This guy at Comcast told me to download adaware which I did. I had been using MS Anti Spyware and Spybot but they couldn't fix this one bad malware that had infected the machine. After running adaware (which didn't fix it either) I rebooted and it came up fine. The first application I launched crashed the computer, and from that point on all reboots didn't recognize Windows.
HP sells replacement system recovery CD/DVDs very cheap. I just paid $16 for a set to reload a Compaq. Compare that to only a drivers disk from Dell for $35.

If you have an external drive, I'd suggest saving what data you want. This would include saving your Favorites folder in the user name on Documents and Settings as well as Outlook and other data in the Application Data and Local Settings folders.

When you set up again, there are certain things I'd suggest on top of decent anti-virus and firewall software.

HP sells replacement system recovery CD/DVDs very cheap. I just paid $16 for a set to reload a Compaq. Compare that to only a drivers disk from Dell for $35.

If you have an external drive, I'd suggest saving what data you want. This would include saving your Favorites folder in the user name on Documents and Settings as well as Outlook and other data in the Application Data and Local Settings folders.

When you set up again, there are certain things I'd suggest on top of decent anti-virus and firewall software.

Thanks Ken. When it comes to PC's I'm pretty ignorant. I use a G5 Mac at work, and have an IT dept that handles the rare issues that pop up with Macs. I will be contacting Compaq probably today or tomorrow about what you suggest.

Thanks Ken. When it comes to PC's I'm pretty ignorant. I use a G5 Mac at work, and have an IT dept that handles the rare issues that pop up with Macs. I will be contacting Compaq probably today or tomorrow about what you suggest.

Once you have Windows installed, removed the OEM crapware, including removing Norton, and before you go ANYWHERE on the net other than Windows update, make an Acronis True Image boot CD and make an image on CD(s). Then do that one more time. Then install any apps you like (Firefox!) and any security software (NOD32!) and make another image. Then make another image.

Use Firefox for the web and the PC should stay clean.

When the computer gets hosed again., you just restore the drive from one of the images you made.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681531211SF
http://www.eset.com/

Mike, You do make a point on Windows Update. That's gotta be the least used tool in existence. A bunch of software publishers make a ton of money as a result.

As far as Firefox, I don't think it's the end all for everything. I've used nothing but IE and have had no problems. It's setting it up to not allow a problem that's the solution.

Geek Squad, Can I help you....?

I have a problem with my cpu...it crashed or it wont turn on.

Ok I can get some one there in 2 weeks.

@%!(@#@#&* 2 WEEKS, Eat poop and bark at the MOON..!!!

Jesse was on the geek squad.
I don't think he had too high of an opinion of the whole experience IIRC.
Something about throwing his "uniform" in the trash as he walked out of the store was mentioned in a post a while back.

Last edited:
I love the Geek Squad and I hope they never change. Of course I own my own on-site PC repair business which technically makes me their competition. I don't really consider them competition as much I as I consider them a free marketing partner.

In a nutshell, the more calls they get, the more calls I get to go in and fix what they didn't fix or didn't fix correctly and do it cheaper than they did. Once that happens, their customer becomes my customer. Brilliant really.

I love the Geek Squad and I hope they never change. Of course I own my own on-site PC repair business which technically makes me their competition. I don't really consider them competition as much I as I consider them a free marketing partner.

In a nutshell, the more calls they get, the more calls I get to go in and fix what they didn't fix or didn't fix correctly and do it cheaper than they did. Once that happens, their customer becomes my customer. Brilliant really.

LOL, that's been my experience, as well.

I hired this single mom for cleaning and helping me move out. She has 2 kids. Needless to say, she's not wealthy.

She found a guy who "fixed" her Windows PC by reformatting and loading a stolen copy of Windows. He told her not to ever try to update it.

When it inevitably turns to crap again she gives the PC to him for a week and he reloads it and charges her $40. Wash, rinse, repeat.

It makes me mad and sad.

I'm thinking I'll make and hand her a Linux run from CD until she can swing a Mac Mini.

Last edited:
I hired this single mom for cleaning and helping me move out. She has 2 kids. Needless to say, she's not wealthy.

She found a guy who "fixed" her Windows PC by reformatting and loading a stolen copy of Windows. He told her not to ever try to update it.

When it inevitably turns to crap again she gives the PC to him for a week and he reloads it and charges her $40. Wash, rinse, repeat.

It makes me mad and sad.
What does any of that have to do with me? Are you suggesting that since I run my own business instead of working for the Geek Squad, I install pirate software on my clients computers? You would be wrong in that suggestion. Are you suggesting that since I run my own business instead of working for the Geek Squad, I don't guarantee my work or that I fleece my customers for money? You would be wrong in that assumption as well.

I keep the ex-Geek Squad customers I get because I show up within a day or two, not weeks, I do the job correctly and I charge a reasonble rate for it. Not all local PC techs are alike. Don't slam me because there are hacks out there.

What does any of that have to do with me? Are you suggesting that since I run my own business instead of working for the Geek Squad, I install pirate software on my clients computers? You would be wrong in that suggestion. Are you suggesting that since I run my own business instead of working for the Geek Squad, I don't guarantee my work or that I fleece my customers for money? You would be wrong in that assumption as well.

I keep the ex-Geek Squad customers I get because I show up within a day or two, not weeks, I do the job correctly and I charge a reasonble rate for it. Not all local PC techs are alike. Don't slam me because there are hacks out there.

Easy cowboy. I wasn't slamming anybody other than the unqualified ahole who she found....and crime on humanity that is Windows.

Easy cowboy. I wasn't slamming anybody other than the unqualified ahole who she found....and crime on humanity that is Windows.
You quoted me in your post so I assumed your post was directed at me.

Once you have Windows installed, removed the OEM crapware, including removing Norton, and before you go ANYWHERE on the net other than Windows update, make an Acronis True Image boot CD and make an image on CD(s). Then do that one more time. Then install any apps you like (Firefox!) and any security software (NOD32!) and make another image. Then make another image.

A software package just for the purpose of getting rid of the "crap".

http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/

Use Firefox for the web and the PC should stay clean.

When the computer gets hosed again., you just restore the drive from one of the images you made.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681531211SF
http://www.eset.com/

I like installing a second hard drive and using Casper for my small-business (and some home user) clients. For implementations where an hour or two of downtime won't put the client out of business, I actually like it better than RAID mirroring. There's less likelihood of malware infecting both drives simultaneously or of a controller failure hosing the array.

Usually, when setting up a new Windows workstation, I remove all the OEM garbage first, then install the second drive, then clone the drive, then set it up for automatic clones at a frequency that makes sense for the particular user. Then I install the client's particular software apps and refresh the clone. It's really not all that time-consuming on a new install because there's not much to copy.

Once Casper's set up to refresh the clone automatically, if the system drive fails or Windows gets hosed, I can switch to the clone and have the client back up and running while I do data recovery, if necessary (and possible) to retrieve any vital files that changed since the last clone was made.

Casper's saved my a$$ a bunch of times. I highly recommend it.

-Rich

Back