Anybody carry a generator with them on camping trips?

Honda started the pocket generator frenzy, now there are so many brands the prices are starting to get down there. I picked up a Yamaha based (labeled some other company) one at Costco for $689 and have been using it for 3 years without issue. Side-by-side comparison to the Honda is that it's about 3-5 dB louder, has a bigger fuel tank so it runs longer but otherwise is identical.

Keep in mind that dB is a logrhythmic scale.

People are skeerd of fumes. Some equipment seals fumes in better than others. I find this to be much more of an issue in boats where gas fumes sink into low areas and cause a real explosion hazard. In a plane I wouldn't really worry, but some do.

I guess. People fear what's unfamiliar. I'm fixin to toss an outboard and a 6gal full tank into the plane to go put a boat in the water. Once that's done I need to bring one of my 1000w generators back to town to fix a sticky needle and seat. 6 days underwater in a flood a couple of years ago has finally caught up to me. It recovered and ran fine after the water went down but small engine carbs don't last long after a flood without needing a new needle and seat. I wish I wasn't so familiar with that.

You may as well just camp in the back yard and run an extension cord to your tent. Dragging a generator camping is really city slicker stuff.

My back doesn't allow me to do that kind of camping any more, so I got one of these.

attachment.php

Now yer tawkin.

Back