Any underwriters here?

Chrisgoesflying

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Chrisgoesflying
I just recently (two months ago) renewed my full in-motion hull + liability insurance for my Piper Cherokee. I started plane window shopping and am now on the cusps of potentially buying a Piper Comanche 250 (fingers crossed all works out). I just checked insurance quotes (I'm a 400 hour Private Pilot with no retract or HP time) and received one that is a whopping $500 LESS than what I'm paying for my Cherokee despite the Comanche being insured at a higher hull value. Granted, it's with a different provider than who I am with right now, but still, even the current provider's quote was right about the same as I'm currently paying for the Cherokee. How is that even possible? I sure didn't accumulate that many hours in the past two months to warrant this.

Yeah that doesn't add up. But hey, if they're inattentive enough to bind you coverage at such a discount, your win. Don't be surprised for that to be corrected in future renewals though. Good luck.

Yeah, the Comanche should be significantly more than the Cherokee even at the same hull value because of the risk of a gear-up landing.

C.

Either that or you're paying way too much for your Cherokee.

I thought so too but here is the thing: I was with the insurance that gave me a quote for the Comanche today, two years ago with my Cherokee. Then, when it came time to renew, the company I'm with now was a few hundred dollars cheaper so I switched. A few months ago, when it was time to renew again, I got a quote from both companies again and they were pretty much the same, but both higher than the previous year. I said I would not renew since I have 100+ more hours compared to the year before and no claims or violations. They then reduced the amount back to what it was last year. And now, two months later, I get the above described quote for the Comanche. Oh well, I'll take it if the sale goes through but thought this is strange for sure.

Not an underwriter, but I just renewed at $14nn for 55k hull Comanche 250.

What's the liability limit? I just got hooked $1700 for $55k and $1mm. Up $300 from last year. Could a been worse, I guess. Underwriter's Global Aerospace.

What's the liability limit? I just got hooked $1700 for $55k and $1mm. Up $300 from last year. Could a been worse, I guess. Underwriter's Global Aerospace.

Oops guess it was 1560
US Specialty Insurance

Screenshot_20230516-205958_Samsung Notes.jpg

I think my insurance must have made a mistake. They quoted me about the same as @EdFred is apparently paying at about the same hull value for the same plane. However, looking at my hour to POA posts rate and applying it to him, he should have close to 20,000 flying hours by now compared to my 400. Again, not complaining but also hoping they won't triple my rate next year upon renewal.

That escalated quickly :rofl:

I kind of wonder if they've confused comanche with cherokee

That seems a little low on hull value?

Can't speak for Ed's Comanche but my (hopefully) future Comanche, how do I put it... needs some love lol.

That escalated quickly :rofl:

I kind of wonder if they've confused comanche with cherokee

That seems a little low on hull value?

Its what Ive got into it-ish. Could I replace it for that? Nope, but I only paid 45k for it.

Back