Any tree guys out there?

Matthew

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Matthew
Two questions:

1) My neighbors have a beautiful red maple that is encroaching on their house. How would they go about finding a pro to give them advice?

2). My other neighbors have a silver maple and someof the larger surface roots worked their way into my yard. I cut out 8" sections to separate the roots from the tree, but it looks like the roots are still alive a year later. How do you kill those things?

1. Word of mouth, Angie's list, Craig's list ( check references) Might call the country extension agency for advice. If it were me just take a pole saw and start in. Trimming is no big deal.

2. The only safe thing is digging until they are dead. A ditch witch would do nicely. If you don't like your neighbor pour Tordane on the roots. ;)

Last edited:
Silver maple needs to go. They are not good trees -soft and subject damaging things.

1. Word of mouth, Angie's list, Craig's list ( check references) Might call the country extension agency for advice. If it were me just take a pole saw and start in. Trimming is no big deal.

2. The only safe thing is digging until they are dead. A ditch witch would do nicely. If you don't like your neighbor pour Tordane on the roots. ;)

1) It's a nice looking tree, I'd be concerned that a guy and a saw who didn't know what he's doing would just make it look dumb, but maybe not.

2) I cut the roots at our property line. I dug out around two sets, then took a chgainsaw and cut out a section from each, about 8" long. That left two 10 to 15 foot sections of roots still ijn my yard. I figured they would die off, but I took a pocketknife to to them and found they are still green. I'll check on Tordane for my side of the yard and let my neighbor worry about vall the roots on his side

If you damage his tree you may be buying him a new one. Pouring poison on the roots may well cause more problems than it solves.

If you damage his tree you may be buying him a new one. Pouring poison on the roots may well cause more problems than it solves.

Yeah, I'm not doing that.

I have long sections of roots that I've already cut from his tree, he helped so no problems. But the cut off sections are still alive, I figured they would have died off on their own by now. Silver maples have surface roots and these are now at least an inch exposed now, halfway across my front yard.

2) I cut the roots at our property line. I dug out around two sets, then took a chgainsaw and cut out a section from each, about 8" long. That left two 10 to 15 foot sections of roots still ijn my yard. I figured they would die off, but I took a pocketknife to to them and found they are still green. I'll check on Tordane for my side of the yard and let my neighbor worry about vall the roots on his side

Drill a hole in the roots and pour in glyphosate (round-up) concentrate. The roots will die soon enough and you won't need specialty chemicals.

Again, you can remove the parts on your land only to the extent that it doesn't kill the neighbors tree. You can be looking at litigation you will lose if you are not careful.

As for the rest, you can typically find two kinds of tree services. Those are guys who know how to use a chainsaw (pretty much just loggers) and those who are arborists. You may also have a forester on the payroll of your local municipality that might be able to give you advice.

As for the rest, you can typically find two kinds of tree services. Those are guys who know how to use a chainsaw (pretty much just loggers)and those who are arborists. You may also have a forester on the payroll of your local municipality that might be able to give you advice.

Yeah, call a tree service, ask them if they "top trees", if they say "yes" then hang up and call the next one.

Back