Any Tom Clancy fans?

mattaxelrod

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Matt
Amazon is listing a new untitled Tom Clancy book due out on May 31. Anyone have any idea what's up with that? New novel? Why don't they list a title? And the price shown is $39.25--pretty pricey.

Just wondered if anyone had any inside scoop.

What difference does the title make? It'll sell anyway.

I have an autographed copy of "Red Rabbit" I got when my work buddies sought him at ought at an signing session at Borders.

Everything you think is going to happen at the beginning happens 600+ pages later after you read for the 26th time "Breakfast was bread with butter..."

But I love the first movies from "The Hunt for Red October" to the Harrison Ford ones. Those are multi-viewing friendly.

My buddy asked him why the last one was changed so much and was so lousy and he said, "That's Hollywood. What are ya gonna do?"

Last edited:
Was there ever a sequel to the 'Teeth of the Tiger' book he wrote recently?

AirBaker said:
Was there ever a sequel to the 'Teeth of the Tiger' book he wrote recently?

This untitled book could very well be the sequel. The last line in the book was ...
"Next, they get to meet the brain".

Matt reserve your copy at your local library! I am a firm believe in supporting your local libraries, and that for the most part they are under used.
Just my 2 cents :)

CapeCodJay said:
Matt reserve your copy at your local library! I am a firm believe in supporting your local libraries, and that for the most part they are under used.
Yeah. I agree. Usually for returning the book late!

CapeCodJay said:

No problem here--we actually donate to our local library, and all the librarians greet us all by name every time we walk in!

But with Clancy books, I always buy them, even though they've mostly sucked lately. He's been phoning it in for quite some time now.

mattaxelrod said:
But with Clancy books, I always buy them, even though they've mostly sucked lately. He's been phoning it in for quite some time now.
Glad to see others besides myself noticing that. I was wondering if he had changed, or I had.

Seems to me Clancy had read several Clive Cussler novels, took the worst parts of Cussler's style and his own, and tried to write novels based on that model. He hasn't had a good one since the last millenium.

I really enjoyed his first 5 or 6 books (glancing at my bookshelf I see 10 of his works, from The Hunt for Red October and Red Storm Rising, thru The Bear and Dragon and Red Rabbit...sort of lost track of the sequence) but I enjoyed the later books considerably less than the earlier. I tried a few of his non-fiction works, like Every Man A Tiger, and thought they were interesting, but just lost interest in his works, I guess.

I liked his stuff until he started preaching, then I got tired of his constant exposition and his unbelievable characters - just read Tail of the Tiger and honestly, some of those guys border on sociopathy. And they're the good guys. Sheesh.

CapeCodJay said:

Good man! If we still had rep points I would have given you some :yes:

You are partially right. Libraries are underutilized by the adult population of the community. The children and young adults use them alot. As education has cut back more and more kids need the library for their research. The adults seem to think of us as a poor subsitute for Blockbuster all to often. Even though we have access to daatabases that people cannot get with their Internet unless they pay big bucks and we also subscribe to many journals, federal, and state documents that would have to be ordered by the person.

BTW I am a library trustee and my spouse is a librarian at a different library.

etsisk said:
I liked his stuff until he started preaching, then I got tired of his constant exposition and his unbelievable characters - just read Tail of the Tiger and honestly, some of those guys border on sociopathy. And they're the good guys. Sheesh.

I am kinda of in the boat too. Loved Sum of all Fears, lousy movie though. The other one I liked was the back story on Mr. Clark

Did anyone see him interviewed on 9/11?? It was probably the best interview I have ever seen. Of course on the date the talking heads were going bananas. They hauled in TOm Clancy because of the book he wrote where a JAL pilot flies a 747 into the capital and basically almost destroys the entire US government.

They wanted to find out what Tom thought of the events that day, how he was able to predict that such a thing could happen and the mechanics of the what had happened on board the 9/11 planes. The news people started asking him these questions and he responded along the lines of, "how should I know I write fiction books" and "I have no insight into what happened today I just wrote a story about something I dreamed up". The poor reporter could not handle that some people do not just talk to hear themselves and speculate for the sake of being on TV. He gave no more interviews after that.

Scott you are right!
I have fond memories of being a kid and all excited when on Saturdays dad would take us to the local library! Oh and the day when we got our first card -- a big blue card that allowed me to take the books out by myself! -- that was a big thing for me.
Congrats on your work with the local library. I was a literacy volunteer with America Reads for a couple years, have to find out about the local programs here now that I have moved to a new state.
But, I can say that not only changing my voter registration, mail, etc., the other most important thing I had to do was get my library card!
Great to see people in here are readers.

Back