Any others students having as many issues with weather as I am?

48dodge

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
48dodge
First flight was July 5th but I had 2 dates prior to that scrubbed due to weather. I've been scheduled between 2 and 4 times a week since then and my hours as of this morning are a whopping 8.3. And most of that happened from 7/16 to 7/23 when the plane I am flying was getting close to its 100 hrs. My lesson the other day we were able to do one t/o and one landing before the ceiling dropped to 1400 so no pattern work. A huge storm showed up about the time we secured the plane. This morning we checked the weather and it looked good maybe something popping later today. Clouds were rolling in but appeared to have some altitude on them, maybe 2000’. Preflighted and cranked up then listened to weather while warming up and ceiling had dropped to 1200. Decided to wait it out a while and the wind whipped up to between 10-15 knots almost perpendicular to the runway. I did hear that another trainer bounced about 50’ fighting the wind. I heard the squeals about10 seconds apart but didn't realize it was that bad! Rain is forecasted almost through the weekend.

So I'm guessing I have been scheduled for about 16 hours. I'm hoping once school starts for the kids I'll be able to start getting out a little earlier to maybe beat some of the heat and weather.

I am in south Louisiana and the weather sucks. I am trying to finish a few xc's and the weather has stopped me the last 4 weekends.

I just finished my license in July, I should have been done in May but weather kept pushing the date back.

It's frustrating as hell but keep pushing forward, you'll get there eventually.

Weather is the bane of my existence. My discovery flight was in February and I just soloed. In early July I checked. 60 lessons scheduled, only 16 happened due to weather.

I have also learned that as a student (and pilot) we are the weather's *******.

I concur.

Weather is the bane of my existence. My discovery flight was in February and I just soloed. In early July I checked. 60 lessons scheduled, only 16 happened due to weather....

that's aggravating, but looks like you stuck with it and SOLO'D!!!! (cue the smile on ur face......)

here in the midwest I can't remember another year with as much beautiful VFR weather as we've had this year.

Wx is always lousy when you want to fly, and gorgeous when you don't.

Along those lines I did have a lesson scheduled for yesterday morning but my CFI had to cancel because of a family emergency. Of course it was blue skies and 4kt breeze

Between vacation, scheduling conflicts, rain and ceilings, it took probably an extra two weeks to complete my TW Endorsement.

Completed last week and recently the weather has been fantastic.

Cheers

My very first lesson at the beginning of June was cancelled due to weather.

Out of my first 5 lessons, I flew twice. It was frustrating.

As was mentioned above, we have had quite a bit of nice weather here this summer and weather hasn't been TOO much of an issue the last couple months for me. Still, we will occasionally get a low ceiling necessitating some ground work or sim time. I don't grumble like I did in the beginning though. Not flying due to weather just happens. Can't do anything about it, so make the best of it!

We all go through it. Got back into flying in January. Multiple cancellations due to weather, instructor availability, airplane availability, my schedule issues, etc. Finally got PPL in July. My son is going through same thing.

Convinced its part of paying your dues.

48dodge - yup, par for the course.
Only if you are able to fly every day can you beat the obstacle course of weather/people/airplanes and rack up the hours.
But scheduled flights are always subject to Murphy's Rules.
(Murphy's Rules are: Murphy rules!)

I'm not mad or even really frustrated. I've pretty much come to accept it. My CFI has threatened to nickname me Stormy. We may try putting a different name in the schedule for me to see if that helps. ;-) We've had almost a record summer for rainfall here in the Charleston area. It rained for every day for over a week straight. I'm talking gully washers. The one good thing is I don't think it ever broke 100 the whole summer. Heat index only went higher than 100 a few days.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Weather. You can't fly with it and you can't fly without it.

I'm lucky. I have some flexibility to schedule around the weather, but there has been so much of it that's bad this year, it's been tough. Now if my wife would just let me buy a plane so I don't have to schedule around THAT, life would be wonderful.

Wx is always lousy when you want to fly, and gorgeous when you don't.

LOL aint that the truth. I've live in Los Angeles for 20 years, and I can hardly recall seeing a cloud, then I start lessons and ....well you can guess the rest.

Although we are blessed with gorgeous weather 320 days a year so I shouldn't complain:no:

Back