Any other GeoCachers here?

I can't believe all the sites out there and so close to my house. I never heard of this, thanks for the info.

I can't believe all the sites out there and so close to my house. I never heard of this, thanks for the info.

Yeah.. It's borderline "spooky" isn't it!? To think that people are out planting and hunting these little boxes just down the road from your house and you are completely oblivious to it. ha!

It really is fun stuff, though.. And if you can combine it with flying, you can really shake things up. Maybe we should start "AeroCaching" -- hiding cache's at different airports, etc. Hmmmm...

Imagine the fun in a helicopter!!!!

If you want to see some doozy places to hide them, do a search for cache's in Colorado and check out the ones that have terrain rating of 3.5 or 4 or so. Some of those things are literally on top of mountain peaks. One of them was listed as being at 14,000'. I would really like to get my Jeep out there -- a lot of them are listed as "4WD Vehicle necessary to get within 10 miles of the cache location".

Fun stuff!

I did my first real hunt that was a 2.5/1.5. It kicked my butt. I found the site according to the GPS after about a hour hike but couldn't find the cache. I left with a "sad face" and decoded the hint....I should have no trouble finding it tomarrow. It also should be noted that while looking for the cache I seen a huge snake that didn't look like he had a good day...so I lost interest quickly.

We have Geocached before and keep meaning to get a few caches made up to place near destination airports we fly to. We've placed a couple near local airports that are going strong today (See Pottstown Limerick (PTW) location for one of them; its called Final Approach).

I'm not 100% sure of the rules as far as placing caches on airport propers, but I know that the "approvers" have denied caches in parks before.

On our next flight, we'll place a cache somewhere and I'll post it back to this thread. Our GeoCache username is also OtisAir.

Ya'll Be Particular

I did my first real hunt that was a 2.5/1.5. It kicked my butt.

I have found the terrain rates seem to vary alot by state. We did one in Nevada that was rated a 2.5 (i think) but in MN it would have been a 4 or 5. We posted a comment saying maybe the terrain was underrated and the next few locals all said the terrain was about right. boy did we feel like wimps after that.

Nice thing about geocaching is it can bring you to some beautiful places that you never new about.

The Airport List is Great! Thanks...

I'll read up on how to submit an entry and do the same.

Wow,.. this is cool. Like a grand Scavenger Hunt!

Wife doesn't seem as enthused as I am,.. but I think my daughter's would like this at one of our parks nearby. What GPS unit and where to get one, so I can get started!

Rob, We just use our Garmin 205 and 305's. You can download the waypoints right to the gps and away you go. You don't need an expensive handheld at all to have fun. If you want a challenge, you don't even need a GPS, just a map and the knowledge how to read coordinates.

Remind me before we have another get together hand and I'll loan you one to see if you like it.

I would like Geocachers to have some sort of identifying clothing like an orange vest or something. I really don't mind them but it is not often we get people traipsing through the backyard unannounced like they own the place and being non-responsive to my "Hello, what's going on?" friendly solicitations for more information!
And I am the least property-rights minded around here, some people would approach them with a firearm in some of these parts.
(I think their GPS was a little off)
Anyway if they had an arm band or something I could go back to my cereal and not worry that they are part of that last marauding teenage band of thugs we had through here.

Last edited:
Wow,.. this is cool. Like a grand Scavenger Hunt!

Wife doesn't seem as enthused as I am,.. but I think my daughter's would like this at one of our parks nearby. What GPS unit and where to get one, so I can get started!

Any GPS unit will work - you don't need any road routes or anything, although it does make it easier to find the park/parking lot/etc.

I would definitely recommend one that allows connecting directly to a computer to download waypoints/routes/etc. We started out with a Garmin eTrex Legend (~$150) and it did everything we needed it to. Unfortunately, someone stole it out of my wife's car while it was parked in our driveway. :mad: Our in-laws got us a Magellan or Lowrance (can't remember) and it works, but isn't able to be connected to the computer which is a pain when loading points for a blitz of cache hunting.

I would like Geocachers to have some sort of identifying clothing like an orange vest or something. I really don't mind them but it is not often we get people traipsing through the backyard unannounced like they own the place and being non-responsive to my "Hello, what's going on?" friendly solicitations for more information!
And I am the least property-rights minded around here, some people would approache them with a firearm in some of these parts.
(I think their GPS was a little off)
Anyway if they had an arm band or something I could go back to my cereal and not worry that they are part of that last marauding teenage band of thugs we had through here.

That stinks. I'm sorry they left a bad taste in your mouth. :( I can definitely see your point of view, though (I would be more likely to be the one looking for the ammo ;)) If you are so inclined, you might want to hop over to www.geocaching.com and post a message on their board about people coming onto your land. If it has happened more than once, there is probably a hidden cache near your property and it's possible that people are taking a 'shortest route' rather than watching their boundaries. You could also search for a nearby cache on the site and maybe email the person that placed the cache and ask them to make a comment on their posting that it is possible to be careful of trespassing while enroute to their cache.

That stinks. I'm sorry they left a bad taste in your mouth.

No biggie - at first it is kinda riling, but once you discover their true purpose all is well with the world!

They are so driven! Like a hound on a scent! Seems fun, I should get into it.

Ok,.. I'm registered and going for my first three locations this weekend while we are camping at Knoebels Park just south of Bloomsburg, PA. I'm really hopeful my kids enjoy this "treasure hunt". I'll share my new experiences when I return from the weekend.

:fcross:

Went this weekend camping at Knoebels, and searched around for some cache....

Found 2 of 3, but they were easy level ones. Didn't find the one at the Johnson Covered Bridge in Columbia County. We'll have to try that multi-cache sometime when back up there with a GPS.

We used the car GPS to get us close, and some clues that were given on the geocache website. Here's my daughter's and I after finding the our first! (Rattlin Bridge Geocache - GC14Z9C ) :frog:

Attachments

• IMG_5833.JPG
    IMG_5833.JPG
    293.6 KB · Views: 10
Back