Any opinions on edm-830 or equivalent?

Jthamilton

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Okie182
Need to get engine monitor for turbo 182.

Have looked at the 830 but wondering what others have or what folks think of the 830 if they have it.

Thanks

Need to get engine monitor for turbo 182.

Have looked at the 830 but wondering what others have or what folks think of the 830 if they have it.

Thanks

It might be worth considering whatever replacement instrument you are considering can re-use your existing probes, etc. Or, if not the existing probes, the existing probe locations and mounting - i.e, bayonet v. threaded under the sparkplug flange and so on.

And things like whether the new instrument fits in the old instrument panel hole and so on...

Is there something wrong with the one you have now? Why do you want or need a new one?

My aircraft doesn't have one instead using the original gauges. I'm looking for greater accuracy for my engine monitoring especially for the turbo.

There is adequate space on the panel with no problems for install.

My aircraft doesn't have one instead using the original gauges. I'm looking for greater accuracy for my engine monitoring especially for the turbo.

There is adequate space on the panel with no problems for install.

When you say, "Turbo 182" what are you talking about?

A late 1970s one with a Lycoming TO-540 and a pressure carb, or what? You'll probably get better advice with more specifics.

He just bought a newer model, photos in another thread. Sorry, no opinions on the engine monitor for the newer aircraft, though.

When you say, "Turbo 182" what are you talking about?

A late 1970s one with a Lycoming TO-540 and a pressure carb, or what? You'll probably get better advice with more specifics.

2002 turbo 182 t model with the tio-540-ak1a, maybe that will help.

My view is its a small price to help protect a significant investment

So, you only need 7 channels of info, right?

I had the 800 and I upgraded it to the 830. I really like the thing. It's much easier to read. Since my primary instruments are all tiny beech gauges over on the right side of the panel, I find myself using the 830 as my primary.

I find the MPG readout quite amusing.

I know of no one who has gotten te 830 and does not like it. I'd love to have one.

I have heard that, in one of the horizontal orientations (sorry, don't know which), the display looks bad. Maybe fixed, maybe legend, just make sure you see sample display in the proposed orientation before committing to it.

Hopefully, John Collins, the consummate expert on all things AeroElectronic, will chime in here...

And if you're going to spend the money on the unit and installation, it makes sense to get fuel-flow and whatever other functions you need at the time rather than trying to add them on later.

As usual, what's your budget?

Most of the people I know who installed a new engine monitor went for either the EDM900/930, EI MVP50, or the Auricle. This is because they had older airplanes, with older, lousy gauges, and these units are certified to replace the primary engine instruments.

I have the 930 in my Tiger, approved to replace all the original 1979-vintage engine and fuel instruments, including eliminating the pressurized fuel and oil lines into the cockpit. After six years with it, I wouldn't change a thing. It has on numerous occasions allowed me to identify and isolate engine problems, as well as keeping me fully informed about engine operation for inflight engine management.

I considered the Auricle, and might have chosen it over the JPI except they didn't get it certified in the time frame I required. The EI MVP was not available at that time, and so wasn't considered. I've since flown with it in a Glasair III, and found it a bit more complicated to read and interpret.

And if you're going to spend the money on the unit and installation, it makes sense to get fuel-flow and whatever other functions you need at the time rather than trying to add them on later.

I agree, I'm not planning on needing to add anything later.

I never considered the edm 900 and up. If the aircraft was older I probably would but my intention was to spend $8000 or so installed.

Back