Any one else bricked?

Sigh, should have checked the iPhone groups before upgrading to 2.0. Oh well...maybe I'll have a phone again tomorrow...
Mine was bricked for the morning, but I was just able to activate it and it's re-syncing now. Best suggestion I can make is to try every 10 minutes or so.

I really need the upgrade, as my company uses Exchange for everything...

Mine was bricked for the morning, but I was just able to activate it and it's re-syncing now. Best suggestion I can make is to try every 10 minutes or so.

I really need the upgrade, as my company uses Exchange for everything...

Yeah, mine finally activated after about 90 minutes. Scared there for a while. Now I'm reloading tunes and videos *fingers crossed*

Well fortunately we will NOT be supporting the iPhone or letting it hook to our systems.

Just got home for lunch, the sync had been interrupted in my absence apparently, but I synced again and all is well.

Oops, no contacts!

Another sync, this time they are there. Took three syncs to get everything (contacts, bookmarks, videos, music) all back on the phone :confused: I like the fact that you can now access your contacts right from the start screen instead of having to go through the phone button.

No exchange server for me, so no idea how that feature will be working.

No exchange server for me, so no idea how that feature will be working.
Works great for me. I sync all of my contacts to the Exchange server anyway from my Macs, so I told the iPhone to sync from there as well instead of syncing from iSync/iTunes. Nary a bobble. Push email from Exchange works fine as well. This was the functionality the iPhone should have had from the beginning.

I just clicked on the link. "Old iPhone". Hilarious. Have they been out a full year yet?

Well fortunately we will NOT be supporting the iPhone or letting it hook to our systems.
Why not? How do you propose to stop it? I didn't have to do anything to make mine work with our Exchange server except use the settings that were already in place for Entourage on the Mac.

Why not? How do you propose to stop it? I didn't have to do anything to make mine work with our Exchange server except use the settings that were already in place for Entourage on the Mac.

Don' cha know? Camel's nose in the tent. Tell people they can use iPhones and the next thing they'll ask for is run Linux on the desktop or worse... *shuddder* be allowed to have a Mac. :D

Those IT managers didn't get their jobs by memorizing the answers to the ACSE test, ya know.

Interesting, the iPhone support discussions are "down." You think they wanted to save bandwidth for the catastrophic software rollout, or got tired of being publicly trashed over the hiccups on their own forums?

Interesting, the iPhone support discussions are "down." You think they wanted to save bandwidth for the catastrophic software rollout, or got tired of being publicly trashed over the hiccups on their own forums?

Yeah. You're missing gems like this:

11:59 a.m.
Things aren't good.

My iPhone is bricked because AT&T's activation servers are down, according to Apple.

Apple says that most upgrades from one phone to the other are not going through correctly and that's why my phone is bricked.

He recommends going to an AT&T store to have them fix it in store. When I explained how logistically impossible that is today, he said he was sorry but there's nothing he can really do.

He gave me a number for AT&T support, but he said that they will just transfer me back to him because it's an iPhone and there's nothing he can do.

He says that there are bricked iPhones all over the country right now.

12:12 p.m.

THINGS ARE GREAT. Brian, from AT&T is a genius and I told him so. I haven't had customer service like that in a long time. What a nice and kind person, and not just because my phone is working. He listened to the problem and he said he'd get me up and running. Positive attitude and wow! He kept his promise.

I am now the proud owner of a working iPhone 3G.

The voice quality is CLEAR AS A BELL! Wow!!!

I can't believe it. I am just so amazed.

12:22 p.m.
Wow. I'm so glad I got Brian on the phone. Seeing that 3G symbol and hearing how crystal clear his voice was was really nice. I mean, I haven't even tried an app from the app store yet and I'm this excited. I can't imagine what's going to happen in a little while.

I'm going to check out Wi-Fi on here and then report back so you all know how this thing works.

http://weblogs.redeyechicago.com/iphoneblog/

From suicide to ecstasy in 13 minutes. :rofl:

Yeah. You're missing gems like this:

http://weblogs.redeyechicago.com/iphoneblog/

From suicide to ecstasy in 13 minutes. :rofl:

Well, yeah, but I'm kind of with him :redface: I just found the Pandora Radio app :cheerswine: Works great on WiFi, will see how it does on EDGE ;)

Not to mention the new Foreflight app. Interfaces with DUATS for official pilot weather briefings and wireless filing of VFR and IFR flight plans.

OK, Apple, I forgive you. This time. :rofl:

Where where where?

Search for it in the iTunes store, is how I found it. It is $60, but NO subscription.

Edit: click this link on a computer with your iTunes installed, and will open iTunes and take you there automatically. Pretty cool, I liked Navmonster.com a lot, but this is better. Of course it costs $60 ;)

Last edited:
In the process of updating iTunes now so that I can purchase the update for the iPod Touch for $9.95. Looking forward to the different things in the app store. I'll definitely have to pick up Foreflight as well, as I really liked the demo I had on their web interface (though I didn't feel like I flew enough to subscribe at $10/month).

Another free app I found was a "remote" feature for iTunes. It links to your iTunes software through the WiFi connection and controls your playback from your iPhone/touch anywhere you can get a WiFi signal. Nice if I have music playing downstairs on the surround sound and want to pause/play/select song or artist from the bedroom or deck.

Pretty cool, I liked Navmonster.com a lot, but this is better. Of course it costs $60 ;)
It looks nice enough that I got it...but it's $69.95 - except that I had some iTunes store credit I hadn't used...and for some reason, it didn't ask me for other payment info. Wonder if I got it for cheap. :dunno:

eds%20short%20bus.jpg

(Just in case you don't know me very well... this is a photo of me getting on the short bus.)

Last edited:
Wow, all that in a 600 dollar package? (well, cheaper now). What happened?

Well, these things are just a bit too popular. This happened on the first day last year too - Despite their best efforts, the servers just got overwhelmed.

I just clicked on the link. "Old iPhone". Hilarious. Have they been out a full year yet?

Just barely - June 29th was the launch date last year, so 54 weeks.

And, everything "old" is new again... My "old" iPhone now has almost all the features of the new one now that I've done the upgrade. Call me a happy camper. :yes: All it's missing is the 3G data speeds, and the GPS. I don't really miss the lack of GPS because it does cell tower triangulation to get me close, and from there I'm just searching for the nearest whatever or looking at the traffic display.

For the iPhone geeks out there... Open up the Calculator app, and turn the phone sideways. :D

Search for it in the iTunes store, is how I found it. It is $60, but NO subscription.

Edit: click this link on a computer with your iTunes installed, and will open iTunes and take you there automatically. Pretty cool, I liked Navmonster.com a lot, but this is better. Of course it costs $60 ;)

Wow... $69.95 means it's the most expensive iPhone app I've seen so far, by a lot - The only other one I saw that was >$9.99 was OmniFocus.

Yeah, it's cool, but... Ouch. I'll pass for now.

Just got home for lunch, the sync had been interrupted in my absence apparently, but I synced again and all is well.

Oops, no contacts!

Another sync, this time they are there. Took three syncs to get everything (contacts, bookmarks, videos, music) all back on the phone :confused: I like the fact that you can now access your contacts right from the start screen instead of having to go through the phone button.

I waited until about 1 AM to do the upgrade, and it went flawlessly. It did take a surprisingly long time (~1/2 hr, maybe more) and it did sync and re-boot three times (all on its own) before everything was there, so that's normal. (Similar to previous updates.)

Oddly enough, when I turned wifi on, the app store quit working. I wasn't sure if it'd work through EDGE but it works just fine. Interesting.

Ummm..because of security reasons? You can neither control or lock-down the iPhone near as well as a Blackberry.

As for stopping it? Yes you can....I know, we have.

I am Director of Security (Information and Physical) for my company, I am tasked with ensuring our information is protected, and for that we have settled on ONE platform we can be reasonably sure we can control.

Sorry....but the iPhone is not it. *shrug*

Even with all the new enterprise/security features that arrived yesterday? :dunno:

Still too new to tell.

As you just stated, they arrived YESTERDAY. In the world of security, I will wait and see what it is like in a year or so.

I have a LOT of control over my Blackberry Enterprise Server and the BB's that connect to it. I will have to see what can be done with the iPhone before I just let someone use it.

Wow, someone had Scott Migaldi in mind in the App Store... do a search for "More Cowbell" and see what I mean. :D

Back