Any Medical

U

Unregistered

One of my friends just became a student pilot. Recently he has had his appendix removed and a concussion with a head injury from skateboarding. He lost two senses which are taste and smell. Will he be able to acquire his third class medical? Second? First?

Thanks

I second the recommendation for Dr. Bruce, he is an expert in the aviation medical industry.

I am curious about the loss of those two specific senses affecting 3rd class medical. Please post back when you have an answer. One could speculate that a pilot does not need taste or smell to fly safely. :)

One could speculate that a pilot does not need taste or smell to fly safely. :)

True, but the concussion might warrant additional and appropriate scrutiny and documentation. That it was enough of a boot to the head* causing loss of sense of taste and smell will definite create curiosity amongst the reviewers at OKC.

*Ti Kwan Leep

True, but the concussion might warrant additional and appropriate scrutiny and documentation. That it was enough of a boot to the head* causing loss of sense of taste and smell will definite create curiosity amongst the reviewers at OKC.

*Ti Kwan Leep

Feeling safe and secure that our government is there to protect us from a pilot who won't complain about airline or FBO food. [/TIC]

OP, I wish your friend success in his flying endeavors.

One could speculate that a pilot does not need taste or smell to fly safely. :)

Maybe not strictly speaking...but not being able to smell gasoline or the burning smell of an electrical fire would be a *distinct* disadvantage.

Not to mention not being able to taste pancakes at the EAA gatherings.

Maybe not strictly speaking...but not being able to smell gasoline or the burning smell of an electrical fire would be a *distinct* disadvantage.

Not to mention not being able to taste pancakes at the EAA gatherings.

I don't disagree. Though I do think that the second line is a much bigger disadvantage! :)

Who can taste pancakes at ANY EAA gathering? :D

I have discovered that answering the questions asked goes a long way toward avoiding unnecessary inquiry in many activities.

There is no question in the 8500-8 about 'have you lost any of your senses.' There is a question about head injury with LOC. But the manual does not require much in the way of documentation other a neuro stating 'patient has recovered with no additional loc episodes' or language like that . . . .

As Bruce always says, give them what that need in the language they need it - and don't volunteer anything - that said, yep - not smelling the fuel leak or not smelling smoke can be a distinct disadvantage . . .

But there is no test of taste or smell in the 1st, 2nd or 3rd class exam.

Last edited:
The presumption is that if you are a pilot you've already lost your senses.

Even if he passed out from the skateboarding injury, it's not an explained LOC which is a whole lot easier to certify than someone who passed out without known cause.

OP:

Regarding the taste and smell, I believe it is just an inconvenience with the smell of fuel or any leaks(as you guys said), and with the loss of taste he wouldn't get the distinguished "taste" you get when you are about to pass out from Hypoxia. As for the head injury he has ER records from it which might affect him. He was on medication for a while for it which included pain killers and some other which I am not sure of. That 100$ burger though is a loss!

Hopefully he will be able to pass the medical! At least a third class if nothing else..

OP:

Regarding the taste and smell, I believe it is just an inconvenience with the smell of fuel or any leaks(as you guys said), and with the loss of taste he wouldn't get the distinguished "taste" you get when you are about to pass out from Hypoxia. As for the head injury he has ER records from it which might affect him. He was on medication for a while for it which included pain killers and some other which I am not sure of. That 100$ burger though is a loss!

Hopefully he will be able to pass the medical! At least a third class if nothing else..

One needs to find out first and not just hope. This is one of the things that the FAA gets real weird about. Consult a competent AME before going for the medical to avoid getting locked out of potential non-medical required options that currently exist or may exist in the future.

Never show up for a medical without first making sure you will pass.

OP:

Please read post #2 again. You won't get a reliable answer any other way.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back