Any interesting $100 hamburgers in Central IL?

DavidKade

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
David
Freshly minted pilot looking for 1 to 2 hour cross country fun trips to build confidence and just plain fun. Central or southern IL, eastern Mo, and yes, I know about Lamberts in Seikston. Any ideas? I fly out of Smartt in St. Charles county north of St. Louis.

There is this doctor's office at 1320 W. Bird Blvd, Peoria, IL. Many folk say he's also a decent pilot too.

Well, going south you could head to M01 in Memphis, easy to stay clear of the class B coming from your direction and its a short cab ride to downtown and there are plenty of restaurants there.

There is Bristol Tap in Bristol, IL. A short drive from KARR. 2nd best burgers around IMHO and worth the drive/flight. They also have Sprecher Root Beer ON TAP!

Mount Vernon (MVN) has a restaurant on the field, Wilkey's, it was pretty good the one time I was there.

Mattoon (MTO) has a restaurant on the field, it too was pretty good the one time I was there.

Dexter (DXE) has a restaurant on the field, haven't been there.

Osage Beach, Grand Glaize (K15) has a restaurant immediately across the highway, J. Culpeeper's Cattle Comany. It's good. Also, Tan-Tar-A will come pick you up in their van and take you back for lunch (about 5 miles down to the lake from the airport). Tan-Tar-A is hard to beat.

Cape Girardeau (CGI) has a very good restaurant on the field, Sandy's, but it's closed on the weekends...It may be open for dinner on Saturday but not for lunch. A dumb move IMO but I don't own the place.

St. Louis Downtown (CPS) has a restaurant on the field...I think...

There's always Gaston's (3M0)

Branson's new airport (BBG) has a Famous Dave's on the field.

The FBO @ Lebanon (LBO) has free lunch everyday.

Marble Hill (0T3) has a couple of decent restaurants in town and if you give me notice I'll pick you up at the airport and buy you lunch (this offer is open to all)

Sikeston (SICK) has...well...my signature tagline pretty much sums it up. If you're height/weight proportionate then you'll feel like you're at an obesity convention when you're there. "Nothing succeeds like excess" should be their slogan.

That's all I can think of right now, I'm confident that there's more but I'm not too familiar with N. Missouri airports.

Last edited:
These are all non-towered airports.

Taylorville IL EAA club holds breakfast check out their website for details. They also have 100LL here.

Palmyra IL holds a fly-in breakfast. I am not sure if its once a year or more. 100LL here if I remember correctly.

Tommy Air Park, Midwest Fly-in is held here a couple weeks after Osh-kosh.

Havana IL holds a fly-in google them for details.

Holmes Field, 3IS5, we do not have a place to buy any food but we can run into town for lunch or dinner, You are always welcome to fly in and shoot the breeze. We also do not have fuel, but Taylorville is just a few miles away.

Moweaqua IL has a small airport and I believe they hold a fly-in once a year. Google them.
They have one of those arobatic Quicksilvers. From what I understand the man whom flew it use to fly everywhere inverted. If you saw him flying he was upside down. That bird and many others have not moved in years but they do hold a Breakfast.
On my first x-country we flew into that place and peaked around. To me it was a very sad site. But I am emotional...lol

Towered airports:

Decatur IL Google them for what they offer. They may have a resturant, I am not sure though. I have never flown in here, I avoid towered airports in my little plane.

KBMI - CJ's on the field or some close choices available via taxi or call ahead for Image Air's crew car.

I forgot about Bloomington IL and Lincoln IL. Lincoln is a non towered airport I believe. I know they hold a Young Eagles event their not sure what else. Lincoln is onmy X-Country list, someday I will fly my little bird into this field.

Pekin IL is another place to check out.
H.A.S.

Cape Girardeau (CGI) has a very good restaurant on the field, Sandy's, but it's closed on the weekends...It may be open for dinner on Saturday but not for lunch. A dumb move IMO but I don't own the place.

I stopped there for lunch on the way from Memphis to St. Louis for an Arch fly-by last summer. I'm pretty sure that was on a Sunday. They had a fried chicken buffet. It was just us and the security folks eating, so maybe weekend hours aren't working for them.

St. Louis Downtown (CPS) has a restaurant on the field...I think...

Oliver's. I think they're only open for dinner. I looked into them, but I'm day VFR limited (colorblind), so that kept me from doing the $500 hamburger run from here.

I don't know if it's too far south for you or not, but there's a restaurant in the FBO at KLIT too (http://www.central.aero/flight-deck/).

Also probably rather far, but I've been a couple of times and really like it -- a short walk from M93 is a motel called Southernaire that has a nice little buffet. You can see planes taking off and landing from the dining room, but it is a little bit of an uphill hike.

Decatur IL Google them for what they offer. They may have a resturant, I am not sure though. I have never flown in here, I avoid towered airports in my little plane.

Good restaurant, good tower folks, rotten FBO.

Come up to Chicago airspace and have lunch/dinner at 06C. Great little airport and the pattern landing west or departing east can put some grey in your hair as a new pilot. Even with a visual landmarks are key for staying out of the Bravo airspace there =D

Come up to Chicago airspace and have lunch/dinner at 06C. Great little airport and the pattern landing west or departing east can put some grey in your hair as a new pilot. Even with a visual landmarks are key for staying out of the Bravo airspace there =D

I have similar trouble with the Bravo here in STL, it's just not nearly as full of aircraft as ORD. I hadn't thought about 06C. Looks like it might be on the list now.

Thanks everybody. I really appreciate the tips.

There is Bristol Tap in Bristol, IL. A short drive from KARR. 2nd best burgers around IMHO and worth the drive/flight. They also have Sprecher Root Beer ON TAP!

Sprecher on tap is always a great thing! I drink a lot of fluids no matter what I'm drinking, so free refills are a must. I love root beer too, but most places have Sprecher in bottles only.

Cousins subs has Sprecher on the fountains these days (as well as pretzel bread subs - yum!)... Other than that, the Mineshaft up in Hartford, WI and Mama Mia's in Brookfield, WI are the only other places I've run into Sprecher on tap.

Might have to head to ARR one of these days. What's the fee/transportation situation there?

Back