Display Name

Display name:
Everskyward
I took this picture last week.

Attachments

• Cockpit.jpg
    Cockpit.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 118
4 engines, interesting yoke arrangement, looks like 3 seats up front?

I'm gonna take a guess and say its an Antonov airplane. I would say 225, but its missing 2 engines. Instead I'll say its an AN22.

SkyHog said:
I'm gonna take a guess and say its an Antonov airplane.
Nyet. This airplane was born in the USA. Well, almost born...

Obvious probably wrong guess: Space shuttle?

Its the Buran, the Russian space shuttle.

Bill Jennings said:
Boeing SST that never flew?
We have a winner! :yes:

Even though the cockpit looks like it has thousands of hours on it, it never flew. This mockup (the cockpit and the front part of the fuselage) is on display at the Hiller Aviation Museum in San Carlos, CA.

AirBaker said:
Are you in the bay area right now?? :)
Not anymore. That was last week. I'm a little hard to pin down although I get out to San Francisco at least a couple times a year for a week or so. I see you are in San Jose.

OK. I mostly do family duties when I'm in SF but it's nice to play hookey sometimes. :)

Greebo said:
Obvious probably wrong guess: Space shuttle?

That's what I thought until I actually clicked the picture and looked at it. Shuttle doesn't have the panel on the side (flight engineer position) and does have a bunch more on the sides up front. Center console is quite a bit different too:

Shuttlepilotextraordinaire.jpg

DSCN1989.jpg

:D

flyingcheesehead said:
That's what I thought until I actually clicked the picture and looked at it. Shuttle doesn't have the panel on the side (flight engineer position) and does have a bunch more on the sides up front. Center console is quite a bit different too:

Is that the one down in Houston? If so, I've sat in that same seat. It's been a long while though.

fgcason said:
Is that the one down in Houston? If so, I've sat in that same seat. It's been a long while though.

One of two. This is the cockpit of the full-shuttle mockup. The other is just the crew portion (no wings, tail, bay, etc) which can be rotated horizontal or vertical. I was in that one in 1998.

Unfortunately, JSC sold the tour rights to Disney, who calls it by some Disney-esque name and all you get is off the tram, walk through the windowed hallway, back on the tram. :( I only got the grand tour 'cuz my sister is an engineer there. Too bad, before 9-11 the JSC tour was much more hands-on.

Back