Any glass cockpit tutorials online?

Legiox

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
RatherBflying
Well received my PPL last week. Now im looking into upgrading to the DA-40 and the glass cockpit. Any online tutorials i can access?

I'd ask what your FBO requires for the checkout...

The Diamond G1000 guides are likely available online, but you want to make sure it covers the version installed in your airplane.

Thanks, my flight school has an almost brand new 180hp Skyhawk with a G1000 package. I will eventually get a check out in that plane, it even has an auto pilot.

My FBO requires 3 hour dual in glass-equipped Diamond, unless you have 3 hours logged in G1000 equipped plane. That includes all necessary instructions. Check with your FBO, they may offer you training.

My FBO requires 3 hour dual in glass-equipped Diamond, unless you have 3 hours logged in G1000 equipped plane. That includes all necessary instructions. Check with your FBO, they may offer you training.

That doesn't seem like a long time, I was expecting many more hours. Then again, I already fly the other 172 they rent - so there should be similarities.

My FBO only has 2 glass equipped birds. A DA40 and Sportstar. Diamond has constant speed prop, and for some reason, even after it was explained to me, I cannot wrap my mind around the concept of it. So it would take longer for me, I expect. And at $159/hour plus the CFI time, I am not sure if I can afford it now.

I can pretty much guarantee that if you go through some formal home study for the G1000, be it books, DVDs, or online, you will save money in the final training in the airplane with a CFI. With the proper ground training program, you will go to your first flight lesson with a HUGE head start. Invest a few hours in homework - it will save you money!

I can pretty much guarantee that if you go through some formal home study for the G1000, be it books, DVDs, or online, you will save money in the final training in the airplane with a CFI. With the proper ground training program, you will go to your first flight lesson with a HUGE head start. Invest a few hours in homework - it will save you money!

Even if the online course is $40 you are probably right. CFI is (going off memory here) $65 per hour and plane is (again, memory) $160 and fuel surcharge is probably $10 - $15.

So $40 vs. 240 (or even half that) is better.

Back